• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Not so F AQ

Started by Boss, January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss

Ok, I seem to be totally missing the point here. There're just too many things I can't understand and yet nobody ever bothered to ask about them (at least where I could find it). Here's a list:
1. Why www.vicecitymultiplayer.com doesn't link to the forum? Are people supposed to locate it via Google?
2. Why www.vicecitymultiplayer.com doesn't have any links to vc-mp's pawno kit either? Yes, I was able to find it on the forum, but I don't think that's an appropriate method of distribution.
3. Three downloads of THE SAME version for both the client and the server?  :o Seriously, you should pick the latest or something.
4. No "gamemodes" folder in the win server? Is that some kind of oppression against Windows users?
5. How come nobody bothered to fix "access violation" pop-ups in Vista/Win7? Even sa-mp did. Yes, I've read about setting compatibility to 98/me (please note that the thread dates back to 2007), but it resets my VC settings to default (both video and controller). Running vc-mp without compatibility makes everything fine again (except for the pop-ups that's it).
6. No cyrillic letters in the chat? Come on, you just have to tick a box for extra input symbols there.
7. No /changemode command? Come on! Do I have to change the config and restart the server each time I need to switch to another mode?
8. Spawn screen behaves rather awkwardly, sometimes deciding the fire button itself. It doesn't seem to like LMB, but it prefers jump button instead (which is Num 0 for me).
9. What's the big plan about using "/c command" instead of just "/command"? That's not even convinient.
10. And why are all the readmes and FAQs placed on the forum rather then in the client installation?

Any answers are much appreciated.

OKStyle

And one more interesting moment: if the message goes through a SendClientMessage the colour specified in function changes colour of the previous deduced messages for the.

Ex:

In the mode:
1st message: hello
2nd message: it's me
3rd message: with money

In the game:
When 1st message is outputed: hello

When 2nd message is outputed: hello
it's me

When 3rd message is outputed: hello
it's me
with money

thijn

you just pwned the vcmp devs.

EDIT: I've just made 500 posts lol

Aaron

I agree with everything Boss said, the site should be fixed up and have a link to every latest download and a link to the forum, the way it is now is limiting the community, alot of newbs probably had problems getting vcmp to work and couldn't see a link to forum, IRC [not as if you get help in the chan anyway] or anything for help.

Javi

Quote from: Gulk on January 13, 2010, 09:11:13 PM
I agree with everything Boss said, the site should be fixed up and have a link to every latest download and a link to the forum, the way it is now is limiting the community, alot of newbs probably had problems getting vcmp to work and couldn't see a link to forum, IRC [not as if you get help in the chan anyway] or anything for help.
I second this.

maxorator

Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 PM5. How come nobody bothered to fix "access violation" pop-ups in Vista/Win7? Even sa-mp did. Yes, I've read about setting compatibility to 98/me (please note that the thread dates back to 2007), but it resets my VC settings to default (both video and controller). Running vc-mp without compatibility makes everything fine again (except for the pop-ups that's it).
The reason is very simple - none of us has Windows Vista/7. So we don't really know what oddity causes those errors.
Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 PM6. No cyrillic letters in the chat? Come on, you just have to tick a box for extra input symbols there.
You have no idea what you are talking about. It would require a font with full unicode support to be used, font rendering code to be rewritten, large parts of the chat code rewritten etc. Sorry, but we just haven't had time for that and it is not a priority at the moment.
Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 PM8. Spawn screen behaves rather awkwardly, sometimes deciding the fire button itself. It doesn't seem to like LMB, but it prefers jump button instead (which is Num 0 for me).
Never seen it nor heard of it before.
Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 PM9. What's the big plan about using "/c command" instead of just "/command"? That's not even convinient.
Mixing built-in commands with server commands is not a good idea.
Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 PM10. And why are all the readmes and FAQs placed on the forum rather then in the client installation?
Those are guides and videos... definitely not something that should be added to the installer.

Please remember that we all are very busy all the time and we don't have much free time for developing VC:MP.

Javi

Quote from: maxorator on January 13, 2010, 10:42:26 PM
Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 06:59:41 PM5. How come nobody bothered to fix "access violation" pop-ups in Vista/Win7? Even sa-mp did. Yes, I've read about setting compatibility to 98/me (please note that the thread dates back to 2007), but it resets my VC settings to default (both video and controller). Running vc-mp without compatibility makes everything fine again (except for the pop-ups that's it).
The reason is very simple - none of us has Windows Vista/7. So we don't really know what oddity causes those errors.
I'm running Win7, feel free to contact me for any testings to fix the issue.

maxorator

Quote from: Forze on January 13, 2010, 10:50:52 PM
I'm running Win7, feel free to contact me for any testings to fix the issue.
Testing is not enough. It requires debugging.

Boss

Well, you could sure use some external help with that. Just send any Vista/Win7 owner a browser build with some extra debug.

Quote from: maxorator on January 13, 2010, 10:42:26 PMYou have no idea what you are talking about. It would require a font with full unicode support to be used, font rendering code to be rewritten, large parts of the chat code rewritten etc. Sorry, but we just haven't had time for that and it is not a priority at the moment.
Sorry, my bad here. I imagined it as a Visual Studio textbox - you just set the font to Arial, add some extra avaliable symbols in the options and off we go.

Well, I guess screens and vids are useless here.
I can tell you that, once this happens and I spawn, I'm unable to look with the mouse. I have to go to Esc menu, move mouse a bit and leave the menu while moving the mouse - that lets me look with the mouse as usual. All the following spawns use the proper fire button for spawning. Don't ask me why this happens and how the two issues are connected.

Um, sorry, but I have to say that there's no need for the current build-in commands. Because, seriously, how much time do you need to make a "/sethp" or a "/kill" command? You could just make a filterscript with them. That's both quicker and easier than using extra two symbols for inputting all the commands (I wonder how mad people are going to get if someone attempts to make a full-scale RPG with dozens of commands lol).

Those are guides and videos... definitely not something that should be added to the installer.
I'm obviously not talking about getting all the videos there, but at least a small .txt (yes, NOT .pdf) readme with a list of commands and extra info about stuff like having to use "/c" to get your commads work. Maybe also id lists for server installation. I spent a good while searching to figure that all out.

Please remember that we all are very busy all the time and we don't have much free time for developing VC:MP.
You bet. You sure do have your lives and nobody pays you for your efforts in making VC-MP with anything but graditude. So I'm not even mentioning more "complicated" things like improving sync (by removing that annoying teleporting), removing the error popping up each time you close the game or even fixing the forementioned coloring issue. I like VC-MP more than 0.5 the way it is now. But if you could fix some of the forementioned things, most of which do not require neither much time nor any progamming skills, that would be really great.

P.S. And never hesitate to ask for help with fixing any of these. You got our undying support.

maxorator

Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 11:19:30 PM
Well, you could sure use some external help with that. Just send any Vista/Win7 owner a browser build with some extra debug.
Yet again you don't know what you're talking about. Debugging is an interactive process.

Well, I guess screens and vids are useless here.
I can tell you that, once this happens and I spawn, I'm unable to look with the mouse. I have to go to Esc menu, move mouse a bit and leave the menu while moving the mouse - that lets me look with the mouse as usual. All the following spawns use the proper fire button for spawning. Don't ask me why this happens and how the two issues are connected.
The not being able to use mouse controls unless you switch to menu once or a few times is a bug in Vice City. I see it happen in the single player all the time.

Um, sorry, but I have to say that there's no need for the current build-in commands. Because, seriously, how much time do you need to make a "/sethp" or a "/kill" command? You could just make a filterscript with them. That's both quicker and easier than using extra two symbols for inputting all the commands (I wonder how mad people are going to get if someone attempts to make a full-scale RPG with dozens of commands lol).
I'm pretty sure we won't completely remove built-in commands. One idea would be to have a different symbol for server commands though.

I'm obviously not talking about getting all the videos there, but at least a small .txt (yes, NOT .pdf) readme with a list of commands and extra info about stuff like having to use "/c" to get your commads work. Maybe also id lists for server installation. I spent a good while searching to figure that all out.
Yes, that does make sense.

You bet. You sure do have your lives and nobody pays you for your efforts in making VC-MP with anything but graditude.
Thank you for undestanding. :)

So I'm not even mentioning more "complicated" things like improving sync (by removing that annoying teleporting), ...
We are working on those things also.

Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 11:19:30 PM... removing the error popping up each time you close the game or even fixing the forementioned coloring issue. I like VC-MP more than 0.5 the way it is now.
We will try to address those issues when we have time for that.

Quote from: Boss on January 13, 2010, 11:19:30 PMBut if you could fix some of the forementioned things, most of which do not require neither much time nor any progamming skills, that would be really great.
You should really be more careful with such statements. ;)

P.S. And never hesitate to ask for help with fixing any of these. You got our undying support.
I don't think there's anything you can help with at the moment. Although it is good to know some people are actually trying to be helpful. :)

Boss

Quote from: maxorator on January 14, 2010, 12:39:15 AM
Yet again you don't know what you're talking about. Debugging is an interactive process.
I do, actually. I'm a programmer and a project lead of two relatively small projects, so I had my share of test organizing. Indeed, debug is better perfomed when being able to deliever the updated build every few minutes (which I see no problem with), but, with a good enough logging and lots of luck you can make it with just 1 build. ;)

The not being able to use mouse controls unless you switch to menu once or a few times is a bug in Vice City. I see it happen in the single player all the time.
Yeah, I encountered that back in MTA either. It can also lead to a freeze/crash after few switches to the esc menu. Not sure if it's fixable via the means of vc-mp though.

One idea would be to have a different symbol for server commands though.
Yep, something like "/rcon command" would be great.

You should really be more careful with such statements. ;)
Ah, yes, you need a sacred knowledge of HTML for successfully adding site links!  :)

I don't think there's anything you can help with at the moment. Although it is good to know some people are actually trying to be helpful. :)
YW. ;)

olvin122

1. I think its crystal clear they are not professionals, and don’t be so gullible to think otherwise.

2. By providing NO documentation they are practically inciting "hackers" to create their own programs which captures all packets the server sends to the rcon, which in turn will allow scripts to communicate with the server.

3. It’s been absolutely appalling (verging on infantile) behaviour, informing players “Not to ask about development of 0.3z R2 or 0.4” or else it wont be released as promptly.

Was it worth all this build up of “shhhh, don’t ask” ? I don’t think so!

You keep on inciting the hackers by providing no documentation!

Falcon

Quote from: olvin122 on January 14, 2010, 03:09:07 AM
1. I think its crystal clear they are not professionals, and don't be so gullible to think otherwise.

2. By providing NO documentation they are practically inciting "hackers" to create their own programs which captures all packets the server sends to the rcon, which in turn will allow scripts to communicate with the server.

3. It's been absolutely appalling (verging on infantile) behaviour, informing players "Not to ask about development of 0.3z R2 or 0.4" or else it wont be released as promptly.

Was it worth all this build up of "shhhh, don't ask" ? I don't think so!

If you bothered to search forums you can find more then enough info.

As for inciting hackers by no documentation ... come on get a life ... why would less documentation incite any hackers in any way .. hackers make BAD stuff not anything helpful...

Where does it say anything about DO NOT ask about 0.4 or it won't be released...

We take our own time to make this mod if you don't like the way its been made it very simple don't use it.... OR maybe like Boss has OFFER TO HELP !!!!

Don't come on these forums and complain about something that is FREE and somebody else has taken there OWN time to make.

maxorator

Quote from: olvin122 on January 14, 2010, 03:09:07 AM

A brief documentation (command/feature lists) is available in the forums. We could not include it in the release, because we didn't have time to create it then. I really doubt someone finds it easier to monitor server-rcon packets than to just take the documentation from here.

Quote from: olvin122 on January 14, 2010, 03:09:07 AM3. It's been absolutely appalling (verging on infantile) behaviour, informing players "Not to ask about development of 0.3z R2 or 0.4" or else it wont be released as promptly.

Was it worth all this build up of "shhhh, don't ask" ? I don't think so!
We've never said that. Maybe some people got that impression because they were asking for the release date all the time and we just answered once that we don't know when we'll have the time for that. And since we had answered that question already, we didn't think it was necessary to answer every time this was asked. Maybe in the future we should add this answer to an FAQ, and lock every such thread after referring to the FAQ...

I'm sorry to disappoint you, olvin122, but these "you suck" posts are not useful at all. But if anyone has something informative to say or wants to report a bug, then you're welcome.

maxorator

Quote from: OKStyle on January 13, 2010, 07:31:25 PM
And one more interesting moment: if the message goes through a SendClientMessage the colour specified in function changes colour of the previous deduced messages for the.

Ex:

In the mode:
1st message: hello
2nd message: it's me
3rd message: with money

In the game:
When 1st message is outputed: hello

When 2nd message is outputed: hello
it's me

When 3rd message is outputed: hello
it's me
with money