• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Lay off the locks.

Started by Hawkeye, August 01, 2007, 02:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

You moderators need to control yourselves.  There is no point in having a forum if you lock every other thread.  Let people talk and share their ideas with each other, instead of saying "This thread is useless. Locked."

That kind of immature behavior makes people like me not come back to forums like this, or even play vice city online again.

matthiasvegh

trouble is, if theres a tutorial bout how to do something, and it has been worked for ever now, and any nublet shouldbe able to understand, doesnt read pinned topics etc, and asks, "where is the on/off button  ???" then, you get this. and theres nothing you can do, and i dont think there is anything you COULD do about it.
i mean, i doubt you would want to reply to this  topic for example, Is it possible to play vcmp on a ripped version?.

but, if you have some suggestions, i dont think a public topic is the place to do this. seeing as telling them that the sun rises east, basically makes them look stupid, and will do anything to stop this.
this topic is prolly gonna get locked/deleted.

cya

VercettiG

Quote from: Hawkeye on August 01, 2007, 02:42:44 AM
You moderators need to control yourselves.  There is no point in having a forum if you lock every other thread.  Let people talk and share their ideas with each other, instead of saying "This thread is useless. Locked."

That kind of immature behavior makes people like me not come back to forums like this, or even play vice city online again.
The thread indeed IS useless. VC-MP has a server browser, why would we need a server advertisement topic?

Hawkeye

Doesn't matter.  Other people don't think like you.  Let them have their fun, that's what forums are all about.  If people don't like the moderators, then you have no forum.

Pluisje

hawkeye be nice to ppl and admin plz

Juppi

Quote from: VercettiG on August 04, 2007, 10:50:27 PM
The thread indeed IS useless. VC-MP has a server browser, why would we need a server advertisement topic?

As the server ad topic starter told, every server does not show in the server browser. If the server uses VPN or due to other reason doesn't show in the browser, there should be a topic for those servers, i think. One topic doesn't fill the whole forum, especially if it gives players more different servers.

If not paying attention to the server topic, i don't understand the complaining from the starter of this topic. Generally the moderating has been good, no problems with that. It is not fun to have three-four topics discussing same problems, especially when the forum has FAQ topic or manuals, which could solve the problem. New users should use more search, and read the help topics discussing their problem before asking anything.

Hawkeye

Well there are two things people can do when someone asks a question that has been answered already.

They could say "That's a stupid question, they using the search. LOCKED!"

or

"Here's the answer to your question.  You can try using the search feature or look at the FAQ topics next time"

I've done searches on forums for questions that I have had too.  I'll start reading what people are saying until I get to the last reply that says, "ALREADY ANSWERED LOCKED!"  It's immature.  Maybe someone can't understand the answer given in one topic, so they look in another.  Having one topic with one answer won't do anything but make searching harder.

Serafim

I agree with Hawkeye in a certain way thought, but I believe certain topics have the need of being locked. About the already answered topics, I think we could just let them die, and lock unless if it gets spammed, if that's what you want :P

VercettiG

Quote from: Juppi on August 04, 2007, 11:29:59 PM
Quote from: VercettiG on August 04, 2007, 10:50:27 PM

As the server ad topic starter told, every server does not show in the server browser. If the server uses VPN or due to other reason doesn't show in the browser, there should be a topic for those servers, i think. One topic doesn't fill the whole forum, especially if it gives players more different servers.
Indeedo. But, eventually, it'll be used for other stuff aswell. Such as advertising servers that are already in the server browser. :|

Hawkeye: When joining and registering on these forums, you agree with the forum rules & guidelines. In the forum rules & guidelines, it is CLEARLY stated that:
QuotePlease hence: The admins, still have the rights to ban/warn you for anything they deem as disruptive to the forums. This also includes locking & deleting topics!

matthiasvegh

fair enough..
the admins have rights to anything  >:(
but then again,
i feel, that at points, there not doing enuf locks.
for example, they locked the server topic,
and a noobish question ( http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?topic=162.0 ) but not this http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?topic=152.0
so, i would like to ask the admins, a simple question.: Do you want to lock all stupid topics? or not?
decide. plz.
and, whats the point of locking a topic? its still there. it still glows stating that: this is a forum where anyone can ask anything, being spam, or anything stupid.

i agree with hawkey completely. admins, what do u want to do, lock every topic, or just leave them?

VercettiG

Quote from: matthiasvegh on August 05, 2007, 04:35:52 PM
i feel, that at points, there not doing enuf locks.
for example, they locked the server topic,
and a noobish question ( http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?topic=162.0 ) but not this http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?topic=152.0
so, i would like to ask the admins, a simple question.: Do you want to lock all stupid topics? or not?
decide. plz.
We are humans. We do make mistakes. And sometimes, we may miss some topics. And if some of those silly ones get bumped - we'll surely do something about them.

Quoteand, whats the point of locking a topic? its still there. it still glows stating that: this is a forum where anyone can ask anything, being spam, or anything stupid.
Topics are locked for reference usage. We don't want to delete them.

Quotei agree with hawkey completely. admins, what do u want to do, lock every topic, or just leave them?
We are running this community perfectly well. It's not easy to moderate such forums.
On other forums, admins and moderators are very abusive and lock/delete topics without any reason at all. And at some others, they basically don't give a damn.

Hawkeye

On other forums, admins and moderators are very abusive and lock/delete topics without any reason at all.

That's what I'm saying you are doing.

And I know that you have the right to lock anything you want, I'm not telling you that you are not allowed to.

VercettiG

Quote from: Hawkeye on August 05, 2007, 08:09:47 PM
On other forums, admins and moderators are very abusive and lock/delete topics without any reason at all.

That's what I'm saying you are doing.
We aren't just locking without any reason at all. Don't be silly...
It may seem so, if moderators don't give a reason when locking it.

An example could be the server advertisement topic. It was stated:
QuoteThis topic is useless. Locked
It is useless since we have a server browser. Servers not appearing on it, is another thing.

However, if people want to know the reason, they could always PM the moderator that locked the topic. ::)

QuoteAnd I know that you have the right to lock anything you want, I'm not telling you that you are not allowed to.
I was simply stating that we COULD do anything we want, but we don't. :)

matthiasvegh

Quote from: VercettiG on August 05, 2007, 08:22:56 PM
It is useless since we have a server browser. Servers not appearing on it, is another thing.
ok, so lets say i got a server that needs a vpn. my server is kinda empty (i wonder y?)  and i want to show it off. i cant use the oficial vcmp forum, coz they dont think ads are important. (btw, even if u dont have a static ip, u can host, ive tried.)
and if admins give a reason? lets say theres a topic, where einstein is a member (a few yrs bak  ;D) and he figures out the theory of relativity, and the admins say, this topic is useless, locked. einstien is spamming, ban him.
Y?

VercettiG

Quote from: matthiasvegh on August 06, 2007, 07:06:59 AM
Quote from: VercettiG on August 05, 2007, 08:22:56 PM
ok, so lets say i got a server that needs a vpn. my server is kinda empty (i wonder y?)  and i want to show it off. i cant use the oficial vcmp forum, coz they dont think ads are important. (btw, even if u dont have a static ip, u can host, ive tried.)
There is not much hope for you anyway, if you are hosting a dedicated server. Since it's probably very laggy with 10+ players (all depends on your net speed). And as you know, players go mad if a server lags. :P
Most of the official servers already got the majority of players anyway.  ::)

Quotelets theres a topic, where einstein is a member (a few yrs bak  ;D) and he figures out the theory of relativity, and the admins say, this topic is useless, locked. einstien is spamming, ban him.
Internet never existed at that time. "einstien" is spelt "Einstein". How would you be able to 'ban' a person in real life?
There is a big difference between a little lockage of a server advertisement topic here on the VC-MP forums and the theory of relativity.

I rest my case.