• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Server memory leak

Started by Juppi, March 07, 2010, 02:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juppi

I have found a possible memory leak in the default linux server. I'm hosting a couple of vcmp servers on my dedicated server and i've recently noticed the high memory usage these servers have. One of the vcmp servers was using over 100MB of ram just a moment ago. The servers I'm hosting are using mIRC scripts so the mem leak cannot be caused by a faulty pawn script or similar.

Requesting if any of the devs could take a closer look at the matter since restarting the server frequently isnt really an option. :x The OS i'm using is Debian 5.0, I'll post more info if its needed/when i know what's needed.

Juppi

Windlord

It does not seem like the best course of action to ignore this bug report.
From the view point of the server host, a memory leak cannot be welcome.

If any developers are visiting the forums, I would like to urge them to take a look into this matter.

maxorator

Not replying to the topic doesn't mean ignoring its contents. ;)

Juppi

So, any news? Just a moment ago (and not just today, this is starting to be a habit) one single vcmp.bin process was using over 300MB ram, which is more than a CS:S server, L4D2 server and a samp server with a huge 10k+ lines script put together were using. Considering the vcmp server doesnt use any plugins or pawn scripts thats pretty bad :-X

I'd be happy to hear any kind of response, even if it was 'sorry we havent had time to take a closer look on this yet', keeping in mind this is something i'd consider to be a major problem.

ULK.SGB

It would be great if this was fixed especially for multi server hosters...

Juppi

* Juppi pokes devs in the eye

We need this fix!

prototypervcmp

hi juppi hw are u can u tell me how to create a server

Kill3R

Quote from: prototypervcmp on October 11, 2010, 07:24:28 PM
hi juppi hw are u can u tell me how to create a server

:P rofllmaoxD  ;D

@Devs: please do something regarding the memory leak  :) , the fix is needed ASAP

Regards,
Kill3R

Juppi

Quote from: Kill3R on October 13, 2010, 03:35:32 PM
@Devs: please do something regarding the memory leak  :) , the fix is needed ASAP

Indeed, a bit earlier today a couple of vcmp servers managed to eat 1GB ram + 4GB swap in basically no time :/

If there is a fix for this problem why can't it be released? Or atleast a word or something from the dev team whats the current status. At the moment it just seems that other than linux server hosts, nobody cares about this problem

Juppi

It's been 10 months already and still no fix for this. :(

It would really be nice if the mod had a working server which doesnt need to be restarted every few hours or let it starve the host machine.

Charleyutton

Quote from: Juppi on January 11, 2011, 08:14:55 PM
It would really be nice if the mod had a working server which doesnt need to be restarted every few hours or let it starve the host machine.

I'll add my name to the beg-list for this fix. My clan's server is often the most populated server in VC:MP, but once the playercount gets too high it crashes out and we lose all our players. This isn't only deflating our experience of the game, it is also driving players away.

I would rather the devs fix this and then not release anything else for 5 years than slowly moving towards a new version that has a couple of new features.
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

Force

Quote from: Charleyutton on January 11, 2011, 08:21:51 PM
I'll add my name to the beg-list for this fix. My clan's server is often the most populated server in VC:MP, but once the playercount gets too high it crashes out and we lose all our players. This isn't only deflating our experience of the game, it is also driving players away.

I would rather the devs fix this and then not release anything else for 5 years than slowly moving towards a new version that has a couple of new features.

Agreed, it's not fair on the hoster or the server owners for their servers to explode from having no ram, I've seen the effects of this and believe me, it can rip an irc network in half, not a pretty sight, people dont want to play on servers if they just all of a sudden loose connection, so something needs to be done.

thijn

Quote from: Charleyutton on January 11, 2011, 08:21:51 PM
Yes indeed.

Bump!

donttoucht

Quote from: Force on January 11, 2011, 09:02:44 PM
Agreed, it's not fair on the hoster or the server owners for their servers to explode from having no ram, I've seen the effects of this and believe me, it can rip an irc network in half, not a pretty sight, people dont want to play on servers if they just all of a sudden loose connection, so something needs to be done.
It'd be unfair if you'd pay money or something else for vcmp. It's a free product, developed by enthusiasts in their free time. You run it on your own risk. Memory leak problem surely needs an oldfix, but it's completele bullshit bitching about it like devs owe you a fix and how "unfair" it is, i also assure you that everyone knows "effects of this".