• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

VC:MP losing easy players

Started by gta5, March 30, 2010, 02:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gta5

This was just something I noticed a few days ago, and it will cause VC:MP to lose many players. When I google vice city multiplayer, the second link that comes up is a link to it on download.com . Many people download from that website because it is a trusted source run by cnet. The problem is this: the version avaliable to download on there is 0.3x. It says on there Date Added: April 2007. Not only that but there were over 800 downloads last week. Here's the full statistics:

#  Price:  Free
# Operating system: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
# Date added: April 10, 2007
# Total Downloads: 100,909
# Downloads last week: 844

Power-Inside

I thought download.com updates their softwares... well at least thats why they are releasing their TechTracker Software

Boss

Why download from some third-party sources when there's an official site? :/

Sephiroth

Quote from: Boss on March 30, 2010, 09:06:26 AM

dunno but if you're gonna have mirrors, at least keep them all updated.

[AoD]NC

Quote from: Boss on March 30, 2010, 09:06:26 AM
OMG Boss, gta5 said, that download.net is a trusted website so why not download it? Maybe your post should mean, that we CAN NOT publish VCMP on our privates FTP, because there is vcmp.com and go there to get it!

I have seen outdates versions of VCMP too, but if someone really wants to play this game, he will, i think, start searching VCMP in google or somewhere :p.

But anyway VCMP is not only loosing players because the outdated version, but we have already talked about it on another topics.

Boss

Quote from: [AoD]NC on March 30, 2010, 01:29:15 PM
OMG Boss, gta5 said, that download.net is a trusted website so why not download it?
How come a "trusted" website has an outdated version? It could as well be a virus.

Maybe your post should mean, that we CAN NOT publish VCMP on our privates FTP, because there is vcmp.com and go there to get it!
*Should not. Client's size is 1.5 Mb, anything but a 56k modem will download it from anywhere but Antarctica within a couple of minutes.

P.S. SA-MP's version is 0.2X-u1 there. *facepalm*

Klaus_Meine

I have myself witnessed many players trying to play with an outdated version.
Seems to be very common.

JayL

Put the VC-MP website there maybe? ::)

[AoD]NC

Quote from: Boss on March 30, 2010, 02:58:31 PM
Maybe your post should mean, that we CAN NOT publish VCMP on our privates FTP, because there is vcmp.com and go there to get it!
*Should not. Client's size is 1.5 Mb, anything but a 56k modem will download it from anywhere but Antarctica within a couple of minutes.

Im not talking about downloading. Yes you are right, even with a modem it would take max 10 minutes to download it from a US server. But do you want to download VCMP from a website that is in english [and e.g. you cant english] or from a german, french or chinese because you know this lang?

Btw losing players: maybe because VCMP doesnt have many VC features. Just to compare: http://www.gtamodding.com/index.php?title=List_of_opcodes
Try to find out how many of them are not in VCMP. The first thing: shaking the camera.

j-king

boss you troll. Anyways yeah dev's update pl0x. I kinda came across that too at first

ULK.HeAD

Quote from: j-king on March 30, 2010, 07:05:35 PM
boss you troll.

seriously, dude. you're letting your argumentative tendencies go a little too far here, are you really going to argue or whatever over the fact that download.com is or is not a popular, trusted site for random noobs looking to download something, using google as their search reference?

he is raising a real issue here, and his worries are sound. there's no need to pick it apart and single out a meaningless detail. the fact is 800+ people downloaded the old version in a week, and while some of them may have intentionally made that choice, any percentage of that group looking for the up-to-date version noobish enough to get it from cnet first, probably denied VCMP it's attainable playercount.

* ULK.HeAD = trolled

Aaron

All mirrors should be kept updated, 844 in a week woah it would be fun if they downloaded the newest version, every server full  :o

Quote from: [AoDNC link=topic=1930.msg14612#msg14612
Try to find out how many of them are not in VCMP. The first thing: shaking the camera.
grenades/molitovs/explosions shake the camera?

gta5

When I first started vcmp it took me weeks to find out that I was using 0.3x when 0.3z R1 was what I needed.

Exoskeletor

when the next version is coming guys?

Power-Inside

hmm why not put auto update feature in the next release....