• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Isn't it about time?

Started by Charleyutton, July 06, 2010, 11:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charleyutton

Isn't it about time a squirrel scripting support board was added to the VC:MP forums? I know another topic was made a while back debating which language was better, PAWN or Sql, but it seems it just turned into a debate about which one was faster.

In my opinion, the speed is relatively unimportant when it is just a few ms difference.

As it is Squirrel allows things that pawn does not. E.G. Pickups have increased functionality. It has different (if not more) functionality overall.

Also, two of the official VC:MP servers use it. (Miami Dade)

I'm not saying the Squirrel board should replace the Pawn board, but it should be along side it.

The strongest past argument against this idea, that came from Boss if I remember correctly, was that even though Pawn has less functionality at the moment, in future versions it will far surpass SQL's. Well as most of the devs are too busy to make a new version at the moment, why not allow users to make the most of the current one. Then when the new one comes, if Pawn does shit all over SQL, people will switch over.
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

thijn

StriKe

Developers do not support Squirrel version of the server and there is not point in have having squirrel section for it.
Squirrel server and Scripts can be found on their own unofficial forum and i do agree squirrel has more functuions compared to pawno lanugage.

Charleyutton

But surely the act of making servers that use squirrel 'official' servers is supporting it?
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

ricardo

well, samp supports pawn, there are over 100,000 members that would disagree with the minority that support squirrel.

nether the less, why not just incorporate squirrel into the vcmp server?

or even better, why not work together...

but according to this post the squirrel supporters dont really care about vcmp, and have a pessimistic view towards its development.

Charleyutton

Quote from: ricardo on July 06, 2010, 01:32:45 PM
well, samp supports pawn, there are over 100,000 members that would disagree with the minority that support squirrel.

Perhaps that's because Pawn has been further developed in samp. The vcmp server that I co-own was impossible to make in pawn because of its limitations. We had to use squirrel instead.

Javi

* Forze waits for Boss to come attack this thread, as he used to do with mine.

Anyways, thumbs up.

maxorator

Squirrel is not officially supported. End of story. Isn't it obvious though that we cannot support something we don't control? Besides, each version update will make Squirrel servers not work for some time. Do you also expect Rockstar to have an official VC:MP subforum somewhere?

I've never said we will not officially add Squirrel, just it's not priority number one at the moment. We already have a scripting language, if you find that you cannot do something with Pawn, it is A LOT easier to just add the feature into Pawn than to add a new scripting language.

[AoD]NC

Quote from: Forze on July 06, 2010, 05:08:08 PM
* Forze waits for Boss to come attack this thread, as he used to do with mine.
* [AoD]NC looks for Boss, but where is he?

Quote from: maxorator on July 06, 2010, 06:33:37 PM
Isn't it obvious though that we cannot support something we don't control? Besides, each version update will make Squirrel servers not work for some time.
1. I like SQ, but max said one good reason, why don't add it. However, why don't put any information like "there is something like bla bla, but no bla bla and use at own risk bla bla"?

2. And when should be the next "version update" ^?

ULK.HeAD

yeah, whether or not it is "officially supported" or whatever, I don't see how a forums section for squirrel placed here at a central communication point for the VCMP community can hurt anything... there's quite a few squirrel guys around, and this is really the only forums I see any of them alongside eachother.

maxorator

Quote from: [AoD]NC on July 06, 2010, 06:42:31 PM
2. And when should be the next "version update" ^?
I'll be travelling a lot in the next weeks, once I get back I will try to update network library to get the memory leak fixed and then see if there are any other critical bugs.
Quote from: ULK.HeAD on July 06, 2010, 06:47:43 PM
yeah, whether or not it is "officially supported" or whatever, I don't see how a forums section for squirrel placed here at a central communication point for the VCMP community can hurt anything... there's quite a few squirrel guys around, and this is really the only forums I see any of them alongside eachother.
No.

ricardo

well, i would disagree that theres quite a few squirrel supporters, most have been indoctrinated by the squirrel server developers, and if you were developing a server, how would you attempt to recruit people?

a thread here would increase the risk of others being indoctrinated.

Zegro

You should note that this opinion is coming from someone who is in fact indifferent about the whole thing as my server is one of few pawn based servers (and is running a good pawn script at that without trying to sound ego)

being a pawn server owner (not the scripter), I know it is possible to achieve great things with pawn even if the functionality is surpassed by squirrel slightly (the reason I use pawn is because of having a scripter who is very good at pawn at the ready), so I think arguments between sql and pawn are pointless seeing as it shouldn't be a contest on which is better as much as which is preferred by the scripter.

on the other hand, holding something against squirrel is stupid seeing as there is nothing directly wrong with it for developers to be complaining...

I agree that pawn has more potential than squirrel being why I like it more, but currently this potential is going to waste by the slow development of the busy dev squad.

I also agree that it makes more sense for people to learn pawn if it will definitely overtake squirrel soon, but there is no need to shun squirrel when it comes to this seeing as they are both "respectable" languages and the devs are busy as said already...

if the development was faster for pawn then maybe I would agree that there shouldn't be a squirrel forum, but if the case is that the language isn't considered to be as efficient as pawn then there should be no mirc forum either (or it should be at least archived in order to stop people thinking irc should be considered as a choice when starting script

StriKe

Quote from: Zegro on July 06, 2010, 08:18:28 PM

if the development was faster for pawn then maybe I would agree that there shouldn't be a squirrel forum, but if the case is that the language isn't considered to be as efficient as pawn then there should be no mirc forum either (or it should be at least archived in order to stop people thinking irc should be considered as a choice when starting script

R2 version still suports mIRC scripting and there is no way it will be archived and you can still use pawno/mIRC for IRC function

on the other hand, holding something against squirrel is stupid seeing as there is nothing directly wrong with it for developers to be complaining...

VC-MP doesn't support squirrel so why do we need separate section for unofficial scripting language ?
Developers of Squirrel server are really busy with their own mods and they can't be focused with VC-MP development though they have helped our community in many ways.

Zegro

Quote from: StriKe on July 06, 2010, 08:33:25 PM

R2 version still suports mIRC scripting and there is no way it will be archived and you can still use pawno/mIRC for IRC function

VC-MP doesn't support squirrel so why do we need separate section for unofficial scripting language ?
Developers of Squirrel server are really busy with their own mods and they can't be focused with VC-MP development though they have helped our community in many ways.

but why isn't it supported?