• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Isn't it about time?

Started by Charleyutton, July 06, 2010, 11:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StriKe

Squirrel can be implemented into vcmp but devs give high priority to other development in mod.

maxorator

Quote from: Zegro on July 06, 2010, 08:18:28 PM
on the other hand, holding something against squirrel is stupid seeing as there is nothing directly wrong with it for developers to be complaining...
I have never said there's something wrong with Squirrel. I just said adding a second scripting language is not a priority right now.

Windlord

I've read through this thread and I've started wondering why this was even brought up.
The squirrel server is a third party server which does not share sources with the community or the dev team and therefore having the squirrel server associated in any way with the official site does not make sense.
Support for the squirrel server is and has always been available from http://www.vicecitymultiplayer.info/

Also, quite a few of you seem to be missing the actual facts that squirrel has proven to be better to work with and are thinking squirrel users are somehow "indoctrinated".
Would really like to know how you'd go about doing that.

If the third party server supporters seem in any way to be "fanboy"s or "indoctrinated" it is most probably because the third party server has worked like an oasis in the stagnant lands of vcmp development.

PS. The Miami-Dade servers were made official long before the third party server was created.

Zegro

Quote from: maxorator on July 06, 2010, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: Zegro on July 06, 2010, 08:18:28 PM
on the other hand, holding something against squirrel is stupid seeing as there is nothing directly wrong with it for developers to be complaining...
I have never said there's something wrong with Squirrel. I just said adding a second scripting language is not a priority right now.
adding a forum is no big deal

Windlord

It is.

It would mean that the dev team will officially accept the squirrel server as being part of the mod itself.
As things are going at the moment, both are compatible but do not affiliate with each other in any way at all.

Squida

Perhaps a link or something to the unofficial forums could suffice? ???

StriKe

Quote from: Squida on July 07, 2010, 05:20:38 AM

Perhaps a link or something to the unofficial forums could suffice? ???

Will you like to have link to MTA in SA-MP forum ?

Charleyutton

Quote from: Windlord on July 06, 2010, 10:33:07 PM
If the third party server supporters seem in any way to be "fanboy"s or "indoctrinated" it is most probably because the third party server has worked like an oasis in the stagnant lands of vcmp development.

Very poetic :p

Well what about a board saying 'Unofficial scripting support,' then have squirrel in there. Surely you guys want people to be able to utilise your mod to its full extent, so surely holding back an alternative way of doing this is counter-productive.

I'm not suggesting for a second that the VC:MP devs should work on integrating Squirrel into the official server, or putting any work into it at all. I'm just saying that an 'unofficial alternative' would be and has been helpful to those who can't do what they want to do with Pawn.

Whether it's a priority or not, it would be a 2 minute job tops just to create the new Unofficial category and then add the Squirrel board. 2 minutes that could seriously benefit VC:MP. There are quite a few people with extensive knowledge of Squirrel scripting now, it seems an ignorant waste to not allow them to share their knowledge.
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

StriKe

Charley

Devs had worked really hard to create it and would they want their users to use third party servers instead of orginal one and have third party server section in their own forum ?

If the users really want to have support for those squirrel servers, they have their own forum(link which windlord posted).

It's players choice Whether to follow Orginal vcmp server or squirrel server.
As maxo stated that each version update will make Squirrel servers not work for some time.So users shouldn't bug the devs to add support for it in this forum.

ricardo

of course you would deny being indoctrinated, its a symptom.

you, like i joined vcmp because you liked it. if you no longer support it and have negative views about it, why not mount your horse and quietly ride into the distance.

i support vcmp, this is the vcmp forum which supports mirc/pawn scripts. not squirrel.

besides, the developer has already told you that Squirrel servers will not work for some time with each server update.

[AoD]NC

First of all, max said why not. No means no and don't start again mirc vs pawn vs squirrel because Boss will come here!

Second. Squirrel won't work with VCMP updates, but how often is it updated? The last update was now more then a half year ago, so don't worry about this :p.

Third. We should end this topic because all posts bellow will be pointless > : D.

Fourth. If someone would in the future post on this forum an information about Squirrel (for example a nub says that pawn is difficult and someone other answers "then try sq") he shouldn't be discriminated like a ***** :).

Basta!

StriKe

Quote from: [AoD]NC on July 07, 2010, 03:10:48 PM
First of all, max said why not. No means no and don't start again mirc vs pawn vs squirrel because Boss will come here!

Second. Squirrel won't work with VCMP updates, but how often is it updated? The last update was now more then a half year ago, so don't worry about this :p.

Third. We should end this topic because all posts bellow will be pointless > : D.

Fourth. If someone would in the future post on this forum an information about Squirrel (for example a nub says that pawn is difficult and someone other answers "then try sq") he shouldn't be discriminated like a ***** :).

Basta!

1.As max said they won't be any squirrel implementation into vcmp but maybe added in future version and any topic based on mirc vs pawn vs squirrel will be locked.

2.You can't be excepting update every week or month ? When have you got new releases with others mods so frequent ? Stop asking the devs WHEN WILL 0.4 WILL BE RELEASED ?! It will be released when its done.

3.It should have been ended when maxo replied "NO"

4.If he finds squirrel easy, let him carry on scripting with squirrel and shouldn't complain when later vcmp version doesn't work with squirrel servers.

[AoD]NC

About 2. What I wanted to say is that it's rarely updated and even if in the future SQ can be incompatible with VCMP, squirrel scripters shouldn't be worry, because it won't be updated like you said every week or month.

But btw. if you want to know my opinion, I like more a release every month with even a few changes, then once a year with a big changelog :].

ULK.HeAD

lol... you might like rainbows rimming a unicorn, but that's just not very realistic.
I'd imagine VCMP would fall to bugs if releases were monthly, considering maxorator just pretty much picked VCMP up from dead forums/MSL, old client link etc.. you're asking for alot after he's already delivered this month's (and the last few months') update

Quote from: Charleyutton on July 07, 2010, 11:58:20 AM
Well what about a board saying 'Unofficial scripting support,' then have squirrel in there. Surely you guys want people to be able to utilise your mod to its full extent, so surely holding back an alternative way of doing this is counter-productive.

I'm not suggesting for a second that the VC:MP devs should work on integrating Squirrel into the official server, or putting any work into it at all. I'm just saying that an 'unofficial alternative' would be and has been helpful to those who can't do what they want to do with Pawn.

Whether it's a priority or not, it would be a 2 minute job tops just to create the new Unofficial category and then add the Squirrel board. 2 minutes that could seriously benefit VC:MP. There are quite a few people with extensive knowledge of Squirrel scripting now, it seems an ignorant waste to not allow them to share their knowledge.

Quote from: maxorator on July 06, 2010, 06:54:43 PM
No.

crystal clear statement, but since we're all still here buggin' let me throw my hat into the "can we get some sorta easy-to-see link to the unofficial squirrel forums here at the VCMP forums if there isn't already?" pool.

Charleyutton

Quote from: ULK.HeAD on July 08, 2010, 11:15:19 PM
crystal clear statement, but since we're all still here buggin' let me throw my hat into the "can we get some sorta easy-to-see link to the unofficial squirrel forums here at the VCMP forums if there isn't already?" pool.

yeah surely that's a fair compromise. Although I guess official sponsoring unofficial is a tad strange.
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter