• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Is Vice City MP still alive?

Started by Michael, July 12, 2010, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ULK.HeAD

Quote from: Force on July 12, 2010, 07:12:56 PM
Therefore they all end up being deathmatch servers, which not everyone wants to play. In my opinion the wider the variety of gamemodes that are out there increases the chance of having more players since it gives them more options than just a deathmatch server.

while you are right about more variety being good for VCMP, I guess you're sortof touching on what I'm about to say... developers can add scripting features all they want for VC, SA does other types of gameplay better than VC, and it probably always will.
at the end of the day, SA just has way more to offer in the way of gameplay variety like free roaming or RP, while VC offers better core control functions for deathmatch styles of gameplay.
you can spend years trying to turn VC into a half-assed collection of wanna-be SA game modes and always come up short, or you can focus on it's stronger points: fast-paced combat via more robust core controls and a smaller map where it is sometimes easier to make use of everything and everyone in play..

from my end over at ULK and XE, the problem with VC isn't the fact its slighted for DM, it's a problem with getting players to accept it and becoming interested in DM gameplay and competition, instead of thinking VC can give SA a run for it's money in the RPG department. the root of a DM games' payoff to a player, is competion.. with that said, establishing VCMP as a fair playing field should be something all server operators or scripters or developers are concerned with. otherwise competitive DM players join and see lag, cheats, glitches or holes in scripted DM gameplay, of course VC DM is going to fail in their eyes. there is no competition on an unfair playing field.
in all my dealings with trying to get gang activity stirred up within VCMP, the main obstacle has been getting players to realize VC offers solid competition, and they cite weak scripts, servers that do not account for bugs or glitches or gameplay balance issues in their reasoning against VC. they generally laugh at the notion of anyone considering VC an actual grounds for competition, due to the lack of comprehensive DM scripting. on the other side of this coin, zegro and edhex scripted a deathmatch-style game mode for VC, attack/defend, and it's being used by gangs constantly since... gangs that sat idle doing nothing for nearly 2 years beforehand. its is a direct example of how comprehensive scripting towards fair and competitive DM gameplay within VCMP has immediately paid off with increased community activity.

besides all that, the most immediate and concrete obstacle to VCMP moving forward that I can point to right this second, is the amount of vehicles spawned or in-play... the limited amounts really curb what we're able to do in the way of fostering in more GTA gameplay variety into VCMP. without tons of cars or pickups or markers all over the place, the natural dynamic will always have to be slanted towards DM within VC as the most competitive option.

[AoD]NC

I read only the half post :D... but however I would like to say something too.

If i understand it properly, you mean that only DM is good for VCMP? Well but running into others and shooting them with a stubby in face can be good but for how long? Of course someone can play it longer or shorter, but finally a player will get bored with this.

About other gamemodes:
races: vehicle sync... + no checkpoints (but implenting checkpoints for VCMP can take some time, just because when you want a checkpoint in single player, first you need to create them, second you need to check if a player passed it and third delete it :p)
role play: personally I hate role plays, but there was one time a SAMP record, 500 (max!) ppl at one time playing at a rp server. I was playing one time on a MTA roleplay and there were much command, but also a GUI interface, which is definitely better then "type command"...
attack base etc: VCs weapons, can't walk while camping makes the game worse imo

So yes you can be right that only DM is good now... However as I said before, it will get sooner or later boring. But the DM can be still improved by VCMP devs. For example adding a turret mode (you are on a car/object and can aim -> single player ammunation shooting range). It could be something funny when one player is driving a car and the 2nd is shooting. When in turret mode, he can't fall from the car, simple! If there would be new features like this, I am sure that more players would play it :).

Good night.

Klaus_Meine

Being able to fire an M60 from a helicopter while your mate flys would be epic

Ettans

I'm sure there will be more active players once the PAWN server is fully integrated, as it'll open up a whole lot of new scripting possibilities. I guess only time will show. :)

thijn

Quote from: Ettans on July 14, 2010, 10:04:51 AM
I'm sure there will be more active players once the PAWN server is fully integrated, as it'll open up a whole lot of new scripting possibilities. I guess only time will show. :)
Don't think its because of pawn, but because the server can do a lot more.

OutlawZ

Quote from: Michael on July 12, 2010, 05:05:51 PM
Hello there,
I am Michael, I've been playing San Andreas Multiplayer for over 2 years and got tired of it. GTA-IV MP is still in development progress and it might fail so I am not thinking of joining it yet. I always was interested to test VC-MP as Vice City is one of the coolest games created by Rockstar, I like it even more than GTA-IV. I tried to download the multiplayer client but I receive some error message, is it closed? Thanks indeed for answer.

Stop going off topic and help this guy.

ricardo

Quote from: OutlawZ on July 14, 2010, 01:46:24 PM
Stop going off topic and help this guy.

agreed, those with pessimistic views on vcmp please stop venting it out in this forum.

Windlord

Please people, keep your shallow thoughts to yourselves.

In an ever changing online world, vcmp is pretty much dead.
Just take a look at how many people are actually still active: a pitiful amount.
There are however a few who continuously try to keep it alive and keep the community full of excitements.
And of course they are great resources to the community.

To name a few;
  • Vice City Duelling Championships
  • Vice City Clan Tournament
  • ULK Open Challenge
  • Miami-Dade Racing League
    in the events side

• VCMP Unofficial Squirrel Server
  • The few scripts and plugins which have been released
    in the scripting side
    and etc

It's most probably impossible to make the shrewd minded thinkers in this thread think straight,
    but you must realise that while the so-called "pessimists" do seem to exhibit untasteful opinions,
    they also do try their best to keep the community going, and they are mostly correct.

Wonder why. And also, wonder why some people have stopped trying.
    Wouldn't it be because there really is no one backing "positive change"?

The obsession for deathmatching exists not because vcmp is best for deathmatching.
    On the contrary, the sync makes most users wince.
    I believe it is due to the fact that it has not been possible for other areas to have been developed enough.

An ever improving game keeps users in. A stagnant one makes users leave after a while.

PS. Seeing Michael has not replied since, he has probably found the correct download link.
    Edit: Just thought I should mention that this was in no way directed at you, HeAD :P
           I believe you have a deep understanding of the matter although we differ in our opinions.

Charleyutton

It's also worth noting the clan membership figures. The number of people in clans at the moment is sky high, ULK reached 50 at one point and others have been pushing through the 20s. There is also now frequent clan matches, so even though DM can be seen to get boring, it is still developing and imo competition almost never gets boring.

Saying DM gets boring in VC:MP is like a proffesional tennis player going 'oh actually yeah I'm a bit bored of this now I'm gonna go play rugby.'

Even though people are doing the same thing over and over, the competition still drives people to improve and stick with it. (Just my view anyway)
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

tomsen25

I have been playing GTA3 Multiplayer for over 2 years and got tired of it.I always was interested to test VC-MP as Vice City is one of the coolest games created by Rockstar, I like it even more than GTA-IV. I tried to download the multiplayer client but I got some error and then game will stoped.
What is the solustion of it?

maxorator

Quote from: tomsen25 on July 28, 2010, 04:29:13 PM
I have been playing GTA3 Multiplayer for over 2 years and got tired of it.I always was interested to test VC-MP as Vice City is one of the coolest games created by Rockstar, I like it even more than GTA-IV. I tried to download the multiplayer client but I got some error and then game will stoped.
What is the solustion of it?
We can't really help unless you tell what error you got.

ULK.HeAD

Quote from: Charleyutton on July 15, 2010, 10:50:03 AM
Even though people are doing the same thing over and over, the competition still drives people to improve and stick with it. (Just my view anyway)

yep, I'm just glad someone besides one of my partners or protege's is finally waking up to this reality.
pretty much ALL games are stupid and pointless, unless you derive competition from said game... there is no good reason to be playing around.

scripting isn't everything in VCMP, you can make 100 awesome servers, and it doesn't matter unless you can drive people to compete there... as without competition games are pointless. if you're going to minimalize competition in favor of cooperative sandbox RPG type play or "for the hell of it" script-features, VCMP will always be at a loss for games with higher functionality for that type of gameplay. SA simply has better graphics and controls for that type of gameplay, so VC will always be at a loss trying to compete with it... even if scripting capabilities and sync were equal.
while some servers managed to successfully include non-dm types of competition such as LW's car ownerships, they still failed to keep competition fresh, and died under inflation and stagnation. non-DM competition is very hard to balance.

competition in VCMP is growing as cutton says, and this competition is directly rooted in deathmatch gameplay styles. competition also drives the game and gives it purpose. at this point, developing VCMP's DM aspects is naturally the most productive way to take advantage of the growing competition, and using it to drive the game further.

just ask any LW's regular what keeps them playing there rather than XE, and they tell you it's the chancce to fight the stubby masters usually found at LW's and not XE. ask any XE guy why he plays there and not LW's, and he tells you it's because he feels more challenged to compete in the FFA crowd around XE.
ask any major server regular why, and they say "competition" not "escapism through online role-playing in VC cause I'm too cheap for WoW and too old for runescape"