• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Bringing New Life Back To VC:MP

Started by SugarD, December 28, 2010, 03:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charleyutton

Yeah and SvM has been getting at least 30 players at some point every day. It just crashes and loses them all because of the damn memory leak.

@NC: Can't you see that players aren't leaving, they are coming and coming. The playercount is higher than it's been for over 3 years and it's still growing.

@Force: With regards to number of cheaters, it depends where you play. XE, whilst it has a very basic gamemode, has an extremely efficient admin script and admin team. There are virtually no cheaters there and when there are, they get removed within a few mins. Same goes for SvM (although not to the same degree, as it is still growing).

It's interesting to see that the majority of people posting here rarely, if ever, actually go ingame. (Not having a go at anyone, just making an observation)
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

Call_me_Dad

I dont think a new version will help much.
When a new player joins VCMP, he doesnt know anything about 0.4, PAWN vs mIRC , new scriptable features etc etc.
He just: either likes it, or does not like it....
i mean its still Vice City....most decent gamers around the world have a platform that can afford much better games.
So, new version or not....the rate of new players coming to VCMP will be the same.

Im not discouraging the release of 0.4 , it will bring some regulars back. :)

Quote from: Force on December 29, 2010, 07:58:19 PM
I hate to say it but there are more cheaters around now than there ever was.
Im more concerned about the illiteracy rate in VCMP....like 50% players these days dont speak english.
Its irritating to explain them anything,then they ask same stupid questions over and over again.
I guess well educated players play GTA4 these days *sob*

Baldachyn

Quote from: Charleyutton on December 30, 2010, 01:50:51 PM
@NC: Can't you see that players aren't leaving, they are coming and coming. The playercount is higher than it's been for over 3 years and it's still growing.

The player count was even higher in the past. And players nowadays are really poor than it used to be. Quality pwns quantity.
No doubt that vcmp is under average and its getting worse.

Devian

QuoteI dont think a new version will help much.
ofc will help,helped in R2,fixed bugs added sniper and rockets fast switc,etc...
because of the new features bring more players to vc-mp.

QuoteWhen a new player joins VCMP, he doesnt know anything about 0.4, PAWN vs mIRC , new scriptable features etc etc.
depends,has many forums teaching how scripting;
http://liberty-unleashed.co.uk/VCWiki/Main_Page
http://vcmp.liberty-unleashed.co.uk/forum/
and here.
has mIRC,Pawno and Squirrel Language to script.
you can find script easily.

vc-mp needs to be updated.

YaceQ

Quote from: [AoD]NC on December 30, 2010, 01:32:38 AM
Don't agree with you Jacek. If there won't be a new release, players will simply leave this MP. Even if there will be a new version, every day passed meanwhile means that some players will leave this MP.
Lolz i've just said it? We need a new version.
People needs changes. Again, 0.1d version. There was a time when only few players played VC-MP, it was June 2006. Littlewhitey was going to close server because almost nobody played, not only in this server, but all VC-MP. Public beta tests of 0.2 have brought new live to all servers. The same was now, with R2. Normal 0.3z, x wasn't so popular.

Quote from: Klaus_Meine on December 30, 2010, 01:41:33 AM
Quote from: YaceQ on December 29, 2010, 10:12:36 PM
Could be, of course. But there is more players playing in servers like XE or UMS than in servers with great scripts.
Well Argonath has some pretty neat scripts and is as well quite populated
Argonath is totally different than all other servers. And ok, its quite popular, but its not as popular as XE or other servers with almost no scripts (comparing to Argonath, A/D etc).

Quote from: Call_me_Dad on December 30, 2010, 03:11:59 PM
When a new player joins VCMP, he doesnt know anything about 0.4, PAWN vs mIRC , new scriptable features etc etc.
So, new version or not....the rate of new players coming to VCMP will be the same.
Quote from: Charleyutton on December 30, 2010, 01:50:51 PM

Players have been coming to VC-MP since R2 version was released. Rocket launchers, snipers, headshoots and other new features encourages people to play VC-MP. Before it wasn't so funny as it is now. Be honest, majority of new players wants to fight with these weapons, have fun with headshoots. They dont know glitch, FS. The most powerful weapons (for players who have played SP only) were added in R2 version. Who is fighting with stubby in single player? Almost nobody.

[AoD]NC

Meh while posting I have hacked the forums sorry for downtime :/

(ofc joking, now my post)

Quote@NC: Can't you see that players aren't leaving, they are coming and coming. The playercount is higher than it's been for over 3 years and it's still growing.
But WHO will play a game that is now a few years old? Older players will be more and more busy with real life and younger will choose new games. Also

QuoteBe honest, majority of new players wants to fight with these weapons, have fun with headshoots. They dont know glitch, FS.
So none of this new players won't play with me :<.

QuoteIt's interesting to see that the majority of people posting here rarely, if ever, actually go ingame. (Not having a go at anyone, just making an observation)
If you want to know, I am just concentrating on my final exam I AM LEARNING :O (guys, don't make so much noise!). But I am ready for a beta test at any time, if there would be such a need :).

Quotevc-mp needs to be updated.
Btw. someone show me a mod, who is good and wasn't updated for a long time?

QuoteLolz i've just said it? We need a new version.
(Angielski do piachu i zakopać!)

QuotePeople needs changes. Again, 0.1d version. There was a time when only few players played VC-MP, it was June 2006. Littlewhitey was going to close server because almost nobody played, not only in this server, but all VC-MP. Public beta tests of 0.2 have brought new live to all servers. The same was now, with R2. Normal 0.3z, x wasn't so popular.
I am just thinking how many players would play VCMP with object support. Finally, they can place ramps and build new towns! I have also made a nice tool for them, but won't say anything more about it for now :p.

Also remember, that VCMP is a property of the developers, which are now inactive, so this topic is something like free-talk.

Ghostface_Killah

Quote from: Call_me_Dad on December 30, 2010, 03:11:59 PM
i mean its still Vice City....most decent gamers around the world have a platform that can afford much better games.

Quote from: Force on December 29, 2010, 07:58:19 PM
I hate to say it but there are more cheaters around now than there ever was.
Im more concerned about the illiteracy rate in VCMP....like 50% players these days dont speak english.
Its irritating to explain them anything,then they ask same stupid questions over and over again.
I guess well educated players play GTA4 these days *sob*

мудацкий пост года!

and here are some words in English so the nazi ass mods won't delete this post again.

SugarD

Quote from: [AoD]NC on December 29, 2010, 02:12:50 PM
Note guys, that VCMP is STILL property of the VCMP team so maxorator, bakasan and Falcon. If they will be back, they will decide what to do.

Moving to open source? Was discussed on this forum, but I doubt that this will happen to VCMP. VCMP's 0.1c source was released and look what happened: there were so many multiplayers built on this source (see VC:MV, VC:P, VCO partly and many many more). For now VCMP is the ONLY available multiplayer for VC (correct me if I am wrong).

@Sugar: I have heard about the project for bringing MTA:VC back. MTA:VC is oldschool, that's maybe the only reason why to play it. Towncivillian has maybe fixed many bugzors in MTA's scm file, but he won't make a better sync? Also MTA is using a SCM file, VCMP since R2 don't even need a scm file.

You corrected yourself there. :P

Towncivilian is doing much more than that, and for the time being, yes, he can't do much for sync as that is in the source itself. MTA doesn't want to give it up. That doesn't mean that big changes aren't coming ;)

What's wrong with Open Source? So what if other MP's were built on it. What's wrong with that? That's a good thing! The point of the multiplayers is so people can play together! Don't hog your ideas all to yourself!

Charleyutton

Quote from: SugarD on January 21, 2011, 10:04:48 AM
What's wrong with Open Source? So what if other MP's were built on it. What's wrong with that? That's a good thing! The point of the multiplayers is so people can play together! Don't hog your ideas all to yourself!

Open source is a nice idea, but it's just never gonna happen, cos of the nature of the devs.

Quote from: [AoD]NC on December 31, 2010, 12:24:38 AM
QuoteIt's interesting to see that the majority of people posting here rarely, if ever, actually go ingame. (Not having a go at anyone, just making an observation)
If you want to know, I am just concentrating on my final exam I AM LEARNING :O (guys, don't make so much noise!). But I am ready for a beta test at any time, if there would be such a need :).

Fair enough I'm not blaming anyone for not playing VC:MP, I'm saying that those who don't should not speculate like some kind of know it all gurus on the behaviour of players in general. So many misplaced preconceptions and misjudgments have been made in this topic that it's not surprising there is no communal resolve in this forum.

The frustrating thing is, nothing that I or anyone else can say will change any of your minds because you've been around for too long, thinking what you've been thinking for too long. Just look at HeAD's posts in the UMS board. The kind of attitude displayed there is the same as the attitude from all the other VC:MP grandees which has been conducive to nothing more than the crumbling of the central community.

Of course it's not too late to be saved but for the real advancement of VC:MP, and the revival of the officially backed community, the devs need to wake up and hand over some responsibility to various key figures within the thriving unofficial community; e.g. HeAD, who has done more for VC:MP activity than any of the other people in this topic has ever done.
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

thijn

At least bring a patch for servers that fixes the memleak, that will keep the servers alive and players ingame :'(
And full servers attracts more players to join, "Oh this server has a lot players, it has to be fun" -> Join.

ULK.HeAD

I don't think VCMP is dying anytime soon, but I can see why sugar could worry about it... my biggest fears for VCMP failing are:
-the MSL dies and nobody cares.
-the VCMP site/forums go down completely and download links for the client/server become obscure.

...and at times I've often felt or expressed the need to show the developers that I and others felt VCMP shouldn't go down like that, and show that we're trying and we care..
so all that said, I can totally see why this thread has brought the old discussion up once again, and I consider it a credit towards cutton's points that the sentiment is coming from a relatively fresh face in the realms of this topic.

the fact is, VCMP has a unique position in the world of online gaming, and not because of its small community, but because it has unique gameplay offerings that other games just don't have. it has things that other online games from the corporate profit model of online gaming actually have systems in place to prevent that certain competitive gamers enjoy and cannot get anywhere else. because of this, VCMP will always retain a player count and some dedicated community activists, as long as there's support for the server browser and MSL we should be just fine.

about the success of basic scripts in VCMP.. in a nutshell it's because certain people want to simply create their super-cool gameplay script and let it fly on its own without any responsibility to the players, fairness, gameplay balance, or any respect for the gameplay mechanics and dynamics.
it takes a bit more than a good script with a cool idea to run a server in a game like this.
don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for anyone who attempts any sort of original game mode, or even attempts to make an already tried idea actually work out for once.. but when people overlook what a script must do in order to address universal VCMP gameplay issues on their quest for the most popular game mode, I think they should re-assess their goals and plans before blaming VCMP scripting capability, or blaming XE/UMS, or even suggesting XE is part of some sort of script-apathy problem in the VCMP community.

before I go, I've got to say that it seems if people could set in-game boundaries for players easier and with more precision, and allow for more vehicles placed on the map, we'd be able to move forward with the scripting and gameplay ideas that are more in-line with VCMP's natural sand-box free-roaming chaotic gameplay, that have sorta been shelved for the day we get an autistic miracle-scriptor, or the day a magical VCMP release answers all of our prayers and lives up to all of our wildest dreams.

niCe

Well, it's good for sure there are more and more players playing VC:MP, but it could be a LOT more. In my opinion, the problem is VC:MP doesn't enable much for scripters - there are no checkpoints, no dynamic pickups or vehicles, nothing to detect which keys have players pressed, no textdraws etc. Therefore there really cannot be any unique script to hook more players to this multiplayer.

I run popular SA-MP server, where I managed to script a lot of features from singleplayer. I would like to script similar mode also for VC:MP (with races, properties, minigames and sub-missions etc.), but I can't, because I miss a lot of functions, therefore I was only able to script some simple DM server, which could a lot of players find boring.

Charleyutton

Quote from: niCe on January 25, 2011, 06:50:58 PM
Well, it's good for sure there are more and more players playing VC:MP, but it could be a LOT more. In my opinion, the problem is VC:MP doesn't enable much for scripters - there are no checkpoints, no dynamic pickups or vehicles, nothing to detect which keys have players pressed, no textdraws etc. Therefore there really cannot be any unique script to hook more players to this multiplayer.

I run popular SA-MP server, where I managed to script a lot of features from singleplayer. I would like to script similar mode also for VC:MP (with races, properties, minigames and sub-missions etc.), but I can't, because I miss a lot of functions, therefore I was only able to script some simple DM server, which could a lot of players find boring.

Perhaps you should take a glance at this:

http://liberty-unleashed.co.uk/VCWiki/Scripting/Squirrel/Functions

Dynamic pickups, vehicles and key functions.

niCe

Oh thanks, there is no linux server for that though, right?

Charleyutton