• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

IMPORTANT: Which OS for server hosting?

Started by [AoD]NC, February 20, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which OS are you using/have used for hosting a VCMP server?

Windows
14 (46.7%)
Linux
14 (46.7%)
I host games only over LAN/Hamachi/for short time/etc.
2 (6.7%)
Haven't hosted servers yet
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

[AoD]NC

AN IMPORTANT POLL FOR THE FUTURE OF VCMP!

The question is simple. There are so many servers on the "Internet" tab, many more are no longer online, but the question is, which Operating System was used to host them?

This poll is for everyone who hosted or bought a server! If you don't know which OS was used for hosting your server, please ask the server admin. EVERY VOTE is important!

Windows the server was 24/7 online and hosted on a Windows machine
Linux 24/7 online on a Linux system
I host games only over LAN/Hamachi/for short time/etc. if you hosted servers, but not 24/7, only for a short time, select this
Haven't hosted servers yet no experience with hosting

Please vote right now or ask the server hoster about the OS. The poll won't expire and you can change your vote.

Cheers,
Awesome NC

* [AoD]NC votes Linux because he has 3-4 times a server and every was hosted on a Linux

Feel free to comment.

Boss

aXXo

I really wanna know which server does not have memory leak issue.

Windows with mIRC
Windows with pawn
Windows with Squirrel
Linux with mIRC
Linux with pawn
Linux with Squirrel

Windows with PAWN does have memory leak issue, im not sure about others...
Im curious to know if anyone runs a server with no mem leak (XE?), what are they using??

PS: I cant compare windows from linux due to limited knowledge....so i wont vote.

Boss

Neither OS nor supported scripting language matter - they all use the same version of raкnet, meaning they all have the memory leak.

BIG[H]

Linux "Ubuntu"  ;D linux are faster and Take less memory
My Guru FORUM MUST VISITmegavcmp.freeforums.org

BIG[H] = BIG HaLL

Aaron

BIG[H]

BIG[H] = BIG HaLL

Greg

My service is based on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards,
Greg

VRocker

All the servers i host are on Linux. Some are on Debian, some are on Gentoo.

As for the memory leak, i think it affects all builds on linux, unsure about windows.
Currently XE and a few other servers don't suffer from the memory leak on my Gentoo server, but i am unsure why and the same binaries have a memory leak on the Debian system. The only problem with that server is it wont run Pawn based servers, so its stuck on the old mirc ones and squirrel.

BIG[H]

QuoteAll the servers i host are on Linux. Some are on Debian, some are on Gentoo.

As for the memory leak, i think it affects all builds on linux, unsure about windows.
Currently XE and a few other servers don't suffer from the memory leak on my Gentoo server, but i am unsure why and the same binaries have a memory leak on the Debian system. The only problem with that server is it wont run Pawn based servers, so its stuck on the old mirc ones and squirrel.
Yeah That's what i wana say Linux is Best to Host servers  8) :P

BIG[H] = BIG HaLL

Charleyutton

Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 20, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

Why exactly is it so important? Are the devs thinking of dropping either one of the servers?
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter

thijn

Quote from: Charleyutton on February 22, 2011, 12:11:41 PM
Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 20, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

Why exactly is it so important? Are the devs thinking of dropping either one of the servers?
Lol ofc not, He's just trying to get attention...

[AoD]NC

Well it is important, if not, why would I do that? But HOW will it be important, we will see in the next days.

As I see it's almost 50:50 windows vs linux. Thought there are more linux servers anyway :O.

Charleyutton

Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 23, 2011, 12:35:53 AM
But HOW will it be important, we will see in the next days.

If you say so, Mr Mysterious.
Charleyutton, VU clan leader, VCDC co-creator, SvM Server Owner, Squirrel Scripter. http://vu.vrocker-hosting.co.uk http://svm.vrocker-hosting.co.uk XE Scripter