Author Topic: [Split] Is VC:MP dead?  (Read 62059 times)

Offline Glock22

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
[Split] Is VC:MP dead?
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »
@Glock22: I started learning it shortly after Vrocker's VCMP Squirrel Server was released. There weren't any sample scripts around like now, so I had to dig the VC Squirrel Wiki and the official squirrel documentation (this was more boring). But I liked it, because the code syntax was very friendly ;D.

Offtopic: Totally agree, Squirrel is very nice and easy language to learn, it took too long for me to learn pawn but it took too less time for me to just realize how squirrel works and learned it.

Ontopic: So that means this is the end for vcmp at 0.3z r2? Maxorator ain't coming back, New developers are not available, so what do you see the future of vcmp? of course Death at 0.3z_R2 IF! maxo don't come back
Yep it looks like VCMP development is more or less over. Maybe the huge servers like ArgonathRPG will stick around for a while and then VCMP will probably be over.

Offline sseebbyy

• VC:MP Veteran
  • Immortal VC:MP Player
    • View Profile
    • Zombie Invasion => Server Forum [DEAD PROJECT]
Re: [Split] Is VC:MP dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Offtopic: Totally agree, Squirrel is very nice and easy language to learn, it took too long for me to learn pawn but it took too less time for me to just realize how squirrel works and learned it.

Pawn was your first scripting language, so thats why you learnt it so long.
I think that if you could learn Squirrel first, it could took you the same time spent for Pawn. ('cause maybe you didn't have any contact with a scripting language, and the pawn language is something like an easy C++)

ONTOPIC: I feared that this discussion will take place...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:13:01 pm by sseebbyy »

Painful/Noob scripters acts like: I Am The Best Scripter Because I Announce My Releases With Big Font Size Without Giving Too Much Info' In The Hope They All Will Download And Check It. I Ignore Bad Replies, Replies That I Could Learn From, And Replies With So Much Text.

Offline Darfy

• VC:MP Beta Tester
  • Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:32:39 pm »
This isn't the end of VC-MP, not at all. Even though the development has been slow for years now, we've still made progress.
There's really no point in speculating if maxorator will ever return or when the next version will be released. Things will move ahead when the time is right and you'll be informed when that happens.

Offline sseebbyy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:44:39 pm »
I like VC:MP 'cause here are ideas (a lot of) that was not applied.
It is funny, and interesting. If you are a bit creative, you can do big things easy. :P

Painful/Noob scripters acts like: I Am The Best Scripter Because I Announce My Releases With Big Font Size Without Giving Too Much Info' In The Hope They All Will Download And Check It. I Ignore Bad Replies, Replies That I Could Learn From, And Replies With So Much Text.

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:26:24 pm »
While max might not still be around, we still have the ability to create plugins to speed up development. For example, the Squirrel plugin is nearly finished, a plugin that loads vehicles from server.conf files (Squirrel servers) has one bug to be fixed before being finalized, and there are three other plugins that I plan on working on:
  • SQLite (it's almost done, but it has weird issues when hooking to Squirrel, so it's unusable)
  • Weather controller (GetWeatherRate, SetWeatherRate, GetWeatherLock, SetWeatherLock)
  • XML

(I'm not implementing hash tables)

But the point is we're not entirely reliant on maxorator.
Do not PM me for support.

Offline [AoD]NC

• AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:28:02 pm »
You want to know my prediction what will happen to VCMP? My predictions are accurate in almost 100% :).
So, I have bad news. Even if the online player count is still above 100, this may be changed this year, if a VCMP update won't be released. More and more people will retire or turn into "Sunday players", like me, that play VCMP once a week, if not less. However, VCMP won't die, but servers won't have as much players as they have now.

@Darfy: we all know that for a few years, the same text :D.

@offtopic: I can't get used to PAWN at all! It's a weird language, but, looking on SAMP, many scripters work on it.

Offline sseebbyy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:12:14 am »
The VC:MP will start its end when populated servers like littlewhitey, XE, EA, XS, argonath and others will close just for the reason of "no players" when their server is one of the most populated servers. (or they will close them for the reason that they think is The Moment)

Players have some stats that keeps them on that server, they have ranks, levels, and others.

I saw how just an old and closed (for a time) server (littlewhitey) became one of the most populated servers. Why ? 'cause maybe they (players) played on that server in the past.

Are not many players that wants to test a new server, 'cause i think that they are thinking something like: "Another DM server".

If you don't know how to announce your server (posting on forums, uploading vids on youtube etc.) and if it has nothing new in it (edited versions of GUPS, FBS, Warchief, etc), it will not be populated at all.

Let's be creative and let's do things that VC:MP players never saw ! ( + some nice trailers on yt )
Actual VC:MP scripters are keeping these players online on servers.

Sometimes I'm watching at the browser, to see how many players are online, and I never saw more then 180-190, until last week.
First time in my life I saw more players online !
215 - I made some prints, but unfortunately my last print was with 208 players.
I didn't take a print screen when was 215 'cause I thought I will never show these prints...

Offline Glock22

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 01:35:47 am »
I didn't realise that's how little players VCMP had... I thought it was in the thousands. Well, I guess VCMP pretty much is dead. Why would any of the developers bother wasting their time to make a new version when VCMP maxes about 200 players and out of those its just a few servers with 7 players on........... I never thought I'd post this, but you guys might as well just join SAMP or find another game.

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:26 am »
Why would any of the developers bother wasting their time to make a new version when VCMP maxes about 200 players and out of those its just a few servers with 7 players on

Those aren't even all the servers
Do not PM me for support.

Offline Brian

• Street Thug
  • [EAF]Brian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:55 am »
There are alot of people on VCMP and as Storm mentioned that ain't even half of the existable servers.

SvM Admin, XE Admin, VL Server Moderator, EA Admin.

Offline [AoD]NC

• AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:07:55 am »
Let's not forget, that we are now in "Holiday Season/Easter", so players with too much spare time will play :).

Offline Fuzzy168

• Programming since 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 05:08:17 am »
How 'bout couple of pictures of some testing??
I'm beginning to feel like a Lag God, Lag God

Offline Darfy

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 06:08:02 am »
How 'bout couple of pictures of some testing??
You make it sound like you're trying to imply that we're lying.. Anyhow there's not much to test right now, also no one said we are testing anything at this very moment. Believe me, we've made progress and more is to come like Stormeus clearly stated.

Offline heekz.shadow

• LU testers
  • Made Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:23:55 am »
I didn't realise that's how little players VCMP had... I thought it was in the thousands. Well, I guess VCMP pretty much is dead. Why would any of the developers bother wasting their time to make a new version when VCMP maxes about 200 players and out of those its just a few servers with 7 players on........... I never thought I'd post this, but you guys might as well just join SAMP or find another game.

What's your point ? You only talk about SA:MP. If you want to advert SA:MP over here, then please get lost, this is a forum dedicated to Vice City Multiplayer.

Last time I could talk with maxo was like, February or January IIRC. It's pretty easy to find him ;d.

ON: I suppose Stormeus can do a great job remaking the functions with a bit of VC:MP 0.3z r2 source code, knowledge about memory addresses / opcodes. Other than that, I don't see how you guys can make the functions work.

Code: [Select]
[20:23] <habi> later only i heard that lu chatbox is customizable. On my first visit, it appeared ugly.
[20:23] <habi> May be that also be the reason why lu has no players

Offline Glock22

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 10:53:30 am »

What's your point ? You only talk about SA:MP. If you want to advert SA:MP over here, then please get lost, this is a forum dedicated to Vice City Multiplayer.

Last time I could talk with maxo was like, February or January IIRC. It's pretty easy to find him ;d.

ON: I suppose Stormeus can do a great job remaking the functions with a bit of VC:MP 0.3z r2 source code, knowledge about memory addresses / opcodes. Other than that, I don't see how you guys can make the functions work.
I don't even like SAMP anymore, its got boring.