Author Topic: [Suggestion] Remove the *success* message of "announce" module  (Read 4113 times)

Offline sseebbyy

• VC:MP Veteran
  • Immortal VC:MP Player
    • View Profile
    • Zombie Invasion => Server Forum [DEAD PROJECT]
[Suggestion] Remove the *success* message of "announce" module
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:27:34 am »
Since you implemented the master list, servers should use the new module called "announce", to make them appear in that list.
Something that we all could not miss, is the success message received in console at every 2.5 seconds. (or something like that)

I really think it would be a better idea if you make the console receive just the errors. What you think ? :D
If we see no error in the console, then it is successfully added to the master list, but if we see an error, then we should try to fix it. :)

Cheers,
Seby

Painful/Noob scripters acts like: I Am The Best Scripter Because I Announce My Releases With Big Font Size Without Giving Too Much Info' In The Hope They All Will Download And Check It. I Ignore Bad Replies, Replies That I Could Learn From, And Replies With So Much Text.

Offline ysc123

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Remove the *success* message of "announce" module
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:45:24 am »
I think it's a bug in this module. It isn't use multithread. So every 2.5 minute it will obstruct the server. Now I use my own announce.exe.

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »
I think it's a bug in this module. It isn't use multithread. So every 2.5 minute it will obstruct the server.

This is by design. Any plugin which uses threads is going to be unreliable by nature because the server only operates on two threads, RakNet's packet handling thread and everything else.

Repeating the success message every 2.5 minutes is also by design so that players can see that their server is regularly being updated instead of assuming that something happened to the plugin that caused it to stop. However, if there is interest in removing it because it's a major obstruction, it can be done easily.
Do not PM me for support.

Offline sseebbyy

• Immortal VC:MP Player
    • View Profile
    • Zombie Invasion => Server Forum [DEAD PROJECT]
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:29:50 pm »
I still think it's a better idea to leave only the messages about errors...
or, is it easier to find a problem that could appear, if you leave the success messages ? Would be easier for developers, or something like that ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:32:24 pm by sseebbyy »

Painful/Noob scripters acts like: I Am The Best Scripter Because I Announce My Releases With Big Font Size Without Giving Too Much Info' In The Hope They All Will Download And Check It. I Ignore Bad Replies, Replies That I Could Learn From, And Replies With So Much Text.

Offline thijn

• LU testers
  • Im proud to be pro.
    • View Profile
    • Vice Underdogs
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:45:55 pm »
Could do with a server.cfg option to enable or disable the success message.

Offline ysc123

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:55:06 pm »
I think it's a bug in this module. It isn't use multithread. So every 2.5 minute it will obstruct the server.

This is by design. Any plugin which uses threads is going to be unreliable by nature because the server only operates on two threads, RakNet's packet handling thread and everything else.

Repeating the success message every 2.5 minutes is also by design so that players can see that their server is regularly being updated instead of assuming that something happened to the plugin that caused it to stop. However, if there is interest in removing it because it's a major obstruction, it can be done easily.
But Why sometime player lost connection? Is network problem? BTW, please fix it http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?topic=6866.0

Offline stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:12 pm »

But Why sometime player lost connection? Is network problem?

There are too many reasons that could explain a player "sometimes" losing their connection to give a proper answer.

Offline Gudio

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
    • Gudio
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 02:13:14 am »
But Why sometime player lost connection? Is network problem? BTW, please fix it http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?topic=6866.0

Players can lose connection if plugin connects to the server list so long. Try to disable announce plugin temporarily to check if it's plugin fault.

Offline stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 03:22:43 am »

Players can lose connection if plugin connects to the server list so long. Try to disable announce plugin temporarily to check if it's plugin fault.

The socket I/O of the announce plugin is designed to be non-blocking. If it blocks the server, it should be reported as a bug.