• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Squirrel

Started by Javi, February 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss

Quote from: Forze on February 07, 2010, 11:37:07 PM
mIRC and Pawn in general  :)
Mrc scripts are not a part 0.4, so no need to compare them.

Statement didn't fail at all.
Quote from: Forze on February 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PMI could convert a 1000 lines Pawn script in Squirrel with... hmmm 400 lines?
Quote from: Forze on February 07, 2010, 11:14:38 PMNah, I'm not working with Pawn since Squirrel's much better  ;)
"I could but I won't" = fail.

Me neither, Squirrel's still better IMO.
How can you decide that it's better judging by simplicity of its integration if you know nothing about the latter? :s

Not literally speaking of course, I meant Squirrel has more scripting chances than Pawn.
So how exactly is that proven by SQ having ini?

MTA doesn't have full R* support, people have different preferences
It did. And their decision was not about preferences.

Nah, it doesn't. Seriously why are you attacking my suggestion like this? Looks like I'm not free to share my opinion.
If you weren't free to share your opinion, I would ban you. :o I'm just trying to show people the other position so that they don't think they are smarter than VC-MP devs. :s

Sephiroth

Quote from: Boss on February 07, 2010, 11:44:47 PM
If you weren't free to share your opinion, I would ban you. :o

that's a bit over the line don't ya think? :P

fact is nobody really knew you were a forums moderator before this, so.... 2+2?  ;)

gta5

seriously now ... is R2 even compatible with Squirrel atm <.<  ::)

thijn

It is, but the devs don't like it because its actually some kind of hack for VCMP (server wise)

VC:MP 0.3z r2 Server (Windows x86)
VC:MP 0.3z r2 Server (Linux x86)
VC:MP 0.3z r2 mIRC rcon dll

Ettans

Quote from: Forze on February 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PM
and can work along with ini, hash, SQLite and XML.

So can PAWN. If developers allowed us to create plugins, the functionality could be increased even more.

Boss

Quote from: Sephiroth on February 08, 2010, 02:23:03 AM
that's a bit over the line don't ya think? :P

fact is nobody really knew you were a forums moderator before this, so.... 2+2?  ;)
"Get you banned" would sound nicer to ya? ;) The point still remains.

Quote from: thijn on February 08, 2010, 08:22:37 AM
VC:MP 0.3z r2 Server (Windows x86)
VC:MP 0.3z r2 Server (Linux x86)
VC:MP 0.3z r2 mIRC rcon dll
*Cough*

[AoD]NC

Boss i guess you have never used Squirrel for scripting. And just a btw. question how long are you playing vcmp? Because e.g. i started when only mirc scripting was available. And in the year 2009 boom VR & co. released the Squirrel server. "Oh yes finally, not longer 2 computers for hosting: 1 for server, 1 for scripts" or "Glad, finally something that is more likely to be like a C or Java language".

And this was a year ago. I have scripted in Squirrel too and i have hundreds of script lines and i know how Squirrel and all other function works so what now i should move to pawn?

QuoteSo how exactly is that proven by SQ having ini?
Ini is something simple that everyone can use it. Cause its easy, always works and for everyone.

Boss

Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 08, 2010, 10:02:59 AM
Boss i guess you have never used Squirrel for scripting.
Nope. Why would I?

how long are you playing vcmp?
I started playing GTA MPs long before VC-MP was out and played almost every MP since then (rumble and gtat included :o). And yes, I used ini in the first versions too.

And in the year 2009 boom VR & co. released the Squirrel server.
Never said anything bad about them. SQ compared to mrc is certainly superior and thanks to VR for providing that alternative. But now pawn is being developed by the devs, maximizing vc-mp's potential.

"Oh yes finally, not longer 2 computers for hosting: 1 for server, 1 for scripts"
^ lol at those still using mrc. :p

I have scripted in Squirrel too and i have hundreds of script lines and i know how Squirrel and all other function works so what now i should move to pawn?
Nobody said you will have to put your scripts to waste. You can keep using VR's server for now (not that anyone global-bans you for that lol) till there's official SQ support.

Ini is something simple that everyone can use it. Cause its easy, always works and for everyone.
OnGameModeInit is not so difficult too really.

[AoD]NC

QuoteNope. Why would I?
Maybe then you could see why the most ppl that posted in the topic likes Squirrel more then Pawn. Okay you have already scripted in PAWN for a long time so for you its really easy now. But Squirrel is easier anyway :p.

QuoteI started playing GTA MPs long before VC-MP was out and played almost every MP since then (rumble and gtat included Shocked).
:O

QuoteBut now pawn is being developed by the devs, maximizing vc-mp's potential.
Maximizing? What new function are added in R2? Not much, the most of them were already in R1.

Quote^ lol at those still using mrc. :p
Well since there was the possibility to run a script 24h/day using Squirrel i have used it. Then i used only mrc to connect to irc channels not to the server.

Boss

Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 08, 2010, 11:30:03 AM
Maybe then you could see why the most ppl that posted in the topic likes Squirrel more then Pawn. Okay you have already scripted in PAWN for a long time so for you its really easy now. But Squirrel is easier anyway :p.
I saw the code snippets and I see how that "easiness" is achieved. In the "heal example" the "easy" things are: built-in server functions (FindPlayer), things behaving like classes (plr.Vehicle.Health, plr.Health), extra parameters (onPlayerCommand's "text" parameter saving 1 strtok) and no need for functions's return (?). Though in that sample player can't heal himself (no "else" if text is null) and the Message is shown for everyone (?).

Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 08, 2010, 11:30:03 AM
Maximizing? What new function are added in R2? Not much, the most of them were already in R1.
If you're comparing r2's pawn to r1's mrc, then it's just because r2 was an initial pawn release. It was never intended to have a samp-level functionality right after being integrated. There are really many pawn fixes and additions for the upcoming version - you will see.

P.S. Here's a "proper" SQ's heal function (with the functionality identical to pawn's sample):

//////////////////////////////
/////// VC:MP Squirrel ///////
//////////////////////////////

function onPlayerCommand( player, cmd, text ){
if (cmd == "heal") {
local plr;
if (text) plr = FindPlayer(text.tointeger());
else plr = player;
if (!plr) {}
else {
if (plr.Vehicle) plr.Vehicle.Health = 1000.0;
plr.Health = 100;
}
}
}

12 lines too.

[AoD]NC

If you want see heres my own heal command for that player, that types it:
 bla bla onplayersmthing
if ( text == "!zycie" || text == "!z" || text == "!heal" ) { //If types cmd
   if ( player.Cash < 300 ) PrivMessage( "Error: You need more money.", player ); //Money...
   else if ( player.Health == 100 ) PrivMessage( "Error: Full health.", player ); //100 HP
   else {
     local money = ( ( 100 - player.Health ) * 3 ).tointeger(); //Pay 3 * how many hp you need
     PrivMessage( "Success . Paid: $" + money + ".", player ); //Msg for player
     player.Health = 100;
     player.Cash -= money;
   }
 }

QuoteIf you're comparing r2's pawn to r1's mrc, then it's just because r2 was an initial pawn release
Oh yeah, and tomorrow will be 0.4?  ::)

Quote12 lines too.
Maybe for other the length of script is important but for me the most important thing is that i know how it works :).

SilenusShar

This is the most unintelligent discussion i have ever read.

The primary point that seems to be striking across the board is that your all fickle

not one of you have put forward a good point to why squirrel is better apart from it look more beautiful...? what the heck....

if someone was to post some solid evidence (speed tests maybe) to how it can perform better than pawn then you might alleviate yourselves from looking like complete lemmings.

Just because I say the sky is yellow, does that mean it is...?

Boss

Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 08, 2010, 11:48:49 AM
Maybe for other the length of script is important but for me the most important thing is that i know how it works :).
Quote from: Forze on February 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PM
I could convert a 1000 lines Pawn script in Squirrel with... hmmm 400 lines?

Quote from: SilenusShar on February 08, 2010, 11:49:10 AM
This is the most unintelligent discussion i have ever read.
^

Quote from: SilenusShar on February 08, 2010, 11:49:10 AM
not one of you have put forward a good point to why squirrel is better apart from it look more beautiful...? what the heck....
I have figured some points of its "beautifulness" (in my previous post), though most of them are rather contradictive.

Javi

I don't really get your point SilenusShar.

Avoiding all this kind of replies, haven't you read everyone above my second reply? They all agreed, and looks like they all love Squirrel :)

I was just asking for an official Squirrel support on VC:MP, nothing else; I didn't start talking about Pawn or mIRC in that way.

And Boss, if you didn't like the first "/c heal" example, here you have a new one.
function onPlayerCommand( player, cmd, text )
{
if ( cmd == "heal" ) {
local cost = ( 500 - player.Health );

if ( player.Health  == 100 ) PrivMessage( "Error - you don't need to heal.", player );
else if ( player.Cash < cost ) PrivMessage( "Error - you need at least $" + cost + " to heal.", player );
else if ( player.IsSpawned ) {
player.Health = 100;
Announce( "~h~Healing...", player );
PrivMessage( "You have been healed, cost: $" + cost , player );
player.Cash -= cost;
}
else PrivMessage( "Error - you need to spawn to use this command.", player );
}
}

Would you mind to post here an advanced healing command for Pawn?

SilenusShar

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:04:47 PM
Avoiding all this kind of replies, haven't you read everyone above my second reply? They all agreed, and looks like they all love Squirrel :)

yes, i have read them all. they haven't posted a valid reason to why its better. (apart from it looks more beautiful)

I’m sat on the fence here as there’s no solid evidence either way.

if all the squirrel "lemmings" asked a squirrel scripter to create and post a simple speed procedure for us to compare it against pawn this would back up their claims that "its better"