• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Squirrel

Started by Javi, February 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javi

So, do you really think I'm suggesting to add Squirrel officially because it's... more beautiful? Can any developer please post here? I think it's the best way of knowing what's gonna be done.

Boss

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:04:47 PM
Avoiding all this kind of replies, haven't you read everyone above my second reply? They all agreed, and looks like they all love Squirrel :)
That's called "tribe instinct" I think.

I was just asking for an official Squirrel support on VC:MP, nothing else; I didn't start talking about Pawn or mIRC in that way.
Quote from: Forze on February 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PM
I could convert a 1000 lines Pawn script in Squirrel with... hmmm 400 lines?

if you didn't like the first "/c heal" example
Um... I'm not geek enough to like scripts. :s I can only judge them my optimization and effectiveness. The previous SQ sample was not effective for comparison with pawn's function since it didn't even reproduce all its features.

Would you mind to post here an advanced healing command for Pawn?

#include <a_vcmp>
#include <util> // GetPlayerHealth2, COLOR_YELLOW and other the other util stuff here
public OnPlayerCommandText(playerid, cmdtext[]){
new cmd[256], idx, cost = 500 - GetPlayerHealth2(playerid), money = GetPlayerMoney(playerid);
cmd = strtok(cmdtext, idx);
if (strcmp(cmd, "heal", true) == 0){
if(GetPlayerHealth2(playerid) == 100) SendClientMessage(playerid,COLOR_YELLOW,Error - you don't need to heal.")
else if (money < cost) SendClientMessage(playerid,COLOR_YELLOW,Error - you need about 500$.")
else (IsPlayerSpawned(playerid)){
SetPlayerHealth(playerid,100);
SendClientMessageToAll(COLOR_YELLOW,"Someone has been healed.")
SendClientMessage(playerid,COLOR_YELLOW,"You have been healed, cost: about 500$.")
SetPlayerMoney(playerid,money-cost);
}
else SendClientMessage(playerid,COLOR_YELLOW,"Error - you need to spawn to use this command.")
}
return 1;
}

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:16:17 PM
Can any developer please post here? I think it's the best way of knowing what's gonna be done.
We're discussing not what gonna be done, but why it's gotta be done, no?

SilenusShar

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:16:17 PM
So, do you really think I'm suggesting to add Squirrel officially because it's... more beautiful? Can any developer please post here? I think it's the best way of knowing what's gonna be done.

sorry, but you squirrel people haven't made a good job of puting your point across. literally no evidence to back up your claims.

do you expect to walk into Microsoft and say "im a world class programmer" and expect them to employ you without proving it...?

Javi

Quote from: Boss on February 08, 2010, 12:18:54 PM
Avoiding all this kind of replies, haven't you read everyone above my second reply? They all agreed, and looks like they all love Squirrel :)
That's called "tribe instinct" I think.
* Cough * I don't think that's a "tribe instinct" like you say.

I was just asking for an official Squirrel support on VC:MP, nothing else; I didn't start talking about Pawn or mIRC in that way.
Quote from: Forze on February 07, 2010, 09:40:20 PM
I could convert a 1000 lines Pawn script in Squirrel with... hmmm 400 lines?
I was just saying Squirrel can be scripted with less lines, and same / better structure / power.

if you didn't like the first "/c heal" example
Um... I'm not geek enough to like scripts. :s I can only judge them my optimization and effectiveness. The previous SQ sample was not effective for comparison with pawn's function since it didn't even reproduce all its features.
So that's why I asked you the following question.

Would you mind to post here an advanced healing command for Pawn?
Laterz. :p
I'm looking forward to it  :)

SilenusShar

I was just saying Squirrel can be scripted with less lines, and same / better structure / power.

why is less lines necessarily better. a speed test would back up that claim.

maybe pawn has a better way of parsing strings, or vice versa, nether the less, simply stating these things and getting other people "lemmings" i call them, to post and back you up simply make this whole discussion look juvenile.

Boss

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:23:55 PM
You were saying that the ratio is 5 to 2, so every 5 lines of pawn code can be substituted with 2 lines of SQ. You didn't prove it so far.

Look backward to it. :o
18 lines pawn, 14 lines SQ.

Javi

Quote from: Boss on February 08, 2010, 12:30:51 PM
You were saying that the ratio is 5 to 2, so every 5 lines of pawn code can be substituted with 2 lines of SQ. You didn't prove it so far.
Still waiting for your Pawn healing script to prove it.

Look backward to it. :o
[/quote]
Erm...

Boss

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:33:34 PM
Erm...
*sigh*
Look at the post above.

Javi

Quote from: Boss on February 08, 2010, 12:35:21 PM
Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:33:34 PM
Erm...
*sigh*
Look at the post above.
Sorry, I didn't read it   :-[
Anyways Squirrel is still shorter, I'm currently uploading a video to show off the difference between an empty Squirrel server and a mIRC one, too bad I haven't seen any VC:MP Pawn server echoing  :)

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GML3aCNiJ2A

Boss

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:43:15 PM
Anyways Squirrel is still shorter
Not 5 to 2. You're desperatly looking for facts supporting your position, finding all but relevant ones.

I'm currently uploading a video to show off the difference between an empty Squirrel server and a mIRC one
A video showing a difference between scripting languages? :/

too bad I haven't seen any VC:MP Pawn server echoing  :)
*double sigh*
How is echoing useful? Plus, you can make an echoing application via the pawn functions currently present. Even integrate it in IRC if you wish.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GML3aCNiJ2A
*facepalm*

Javi

Quote from: Boss on February 08, 2010, 12:50:18 PM
Anyways Squirrel is still shorter
Not 5 to 2. You're desperatly looking for facts supporting your position, finding all but relevant ones.
Not 5 to 2, but it's still shorter! What else do you want?

I'm currently uploading a video to show off the difference between an empty Squirrel server and a mIRC one
A video showing a difference between scripting languages? :/
It's showing how Squirrel is faster than mIRC, look at the post below, I know what you're gonna say about.

too bad I haven't seen any VC:MP Pawn server echoing  :)
*double sigh*
How is echoing useful? Plus, you can make an echoing application via the pawn functions currently present. Even integrate it in IRC if you wish.

Echoing allows admin to check the server without playing in it and comunicate with players by the same way.

SilenusShar

Just so you know, im not on either side. im actually quite interested into which is better too.

So far you've stated that squirrel is;

faster - no evidence to back this claim up (post a speed procedure for us to test that and compare it against pawn)

easier, and shorter - seen a little evidence to back that up

Squirrel has much more functions than mIRC and Pawn - no evidence to back this claim up

can work along with ini, hash, SQLite and XML - that’s an incorrect statement (that’s built into VRockers server not a part of the squirrel language)

more beautiful - well, that’s just lame.

if i've missed any points out, please add them. but so far you've posted no catagoric evidence to back up most of what you've claimed

Boss

Quote from: Forze on February 08, 2010, 12:53:38 PM
Not 5 to 2, but it's still shorter!
How does saving few extra lines make one scripting language better than the other?

It's showing how Squirrel is faster than mIRC, look at the post below, I know what you're gonna say about.
I know nothing about how IRC support is implemented, BUT:
1) The delay may be just for the writer, not for the server.
2) I don't see how 1s delay makes "admin ckecking" impossible.
3) We're still comparing pawn to SQ, since mrc will not be present in future releases.

P.S. mIRC is an IRC client. Protocol is called IRC and the scripting language is MRC. I don't see how a client can be faster than a scripting language.

Echoing allows admin to check the server without playing in it and comunicate with players by the same way.
MTA, where art thou?

Quote from: SilenusShar on February 08, 2010, 12:58:24 PM
Squirrel has much more functions than mIRC and Pawn - no evidence to back this claim up
No evidence can be found here, since functionality depends entirely on developers. They can as well implement SQ with just one function avaliable.

Javi

OK so I better don't waste my time trying to prove something and getting more and more replies about it, the thing is everyone who posted here but Boss, and apparently SilenusShar like Squirrel better than any of the current available scripting languages. From now on I'd like to stop comparing them, looks like they are looking equal both Squirrel and Pawn, mIRC has been discarted already. I've not probed Squirrel is better, I've just gotten than Squirrel = Pawn so far. Please can now any developer post here about my suggestion? I think we've got the why already.

SilenusShar

the problem is, one person will make a statement, and the others fall for it hook line and sinker.

for example, GUS (mIRC) worked brilliantly for me, nice and fast, as did PsySQLite, FBS and WSV. but someone will make a remark and for some reason (i can only assume their own brains haven't fully developed) they will believe that person and not test the claim themselves.

VC:MP is just a fanstsy for kids at the moment, and untill there are some more mature people about this will always be the case.

everyone here likes squirrel

those people are just "lemmings" YOU MUST POST EVIDENCE to back up your claims.