Author Topic: Copying server names .. low life guys!  (Read 16662 times)

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
  • VC:MP Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Copying server names .. low life guys!
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:26 am »
There is no EULA or terms of use for servers. We only regulate the official masterlist (which isn't even the only masterlist -- Squirrel servers announce to a backup list), and the developers alone can remove servers only from it for whatever they feel is necessary. We do not have complete control over servers, and there are no backdoors that would allow us to shut down a server if it were to violate any of the arbitrary conditions we come up with.

That being said, we are not obligated to make this a global issue.
It's FIRST time something like this happened. Nobody ever tried to copy LW/XE/EA/Sky-City server name but these are/were the most popular servers. I don't see a point in making a bot/script/system that'll protect server names, it's waste of time.
Do not PM me for support.

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 06:18:21 am »
VC-MP is almost 8 years old. It's FIRST time something like this happened. Nobody ever tried to copy LW/XE/EA/Sky-City server name but these are/were the most popular servers. It's just your private problem that your friend or former admin copied your server name. I don't see a point in making a bot/script/system that'll protect server names, it's waste of time.
Lol , nice logic.
Btw except sky-city (which is no more popular) rest all are official servers and everyone know you will take action quickly in that case .
Some guy in recent past had copied mega war n had named it mega war: 2, you might be sleeping that time coz that time mega war was in top 3 .
VCCNR is also in top 3 servers after LW n Xe , but you might be sleeping as usual.
VCCNR has reached this place in almost 6 months which others took ages n many got failed (one such fail in official severs too, but bingo you are still sleeping).
Moreover being beta tester your reply was totaly out of logic coz you were sleeping all the time n just opned your eyes for a moment to reply, but you forgot to read the complete topic.
I clearly had said Mr.XXX was neither that owner nor was in my staff nor was banned at my server.
 Please wake up and reply.
Btw i had closed that server my way 1 day earlier still reply as I feel vcmp should make some terms and regulations.
Vice City Cops 'n' Robbers is good for an even more relaxed style of gameplay than Argonath.

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:26 am »
There is no EULA or terms of use for servers. We only regulate the official masterlist (which isn't even the only masterlist -- Squirrel servers announce to a backup list), and the developers alone can remove servers only from it for whatever they feel is necessary. We do not have complete control over servers, and there are no backdoors that would allow us to shut down a server if it were to violate any of the arbitrary conditions we come up with.

That being said, we are not obligated to make this a global issue.
You mean to say you don't know how to temp ban an ip at the ip-tables or devs can't put up a running bot moreover squirrel serves also announce to a backup list which has got nothing to do with the official browser.
Just accept that "its not our issue , we would've taken action if it was ours".
Or just say its legal so that people can use Lw n XE as the server names .

Btw One can't do anything when they don't want to do it.
Vice City Cops 'n' Robbers is good for an even more relaxed style of gameplay than Argonath.

Offline aXXo

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 11:10:12 am »
A practical solution could be that someone spreads a rumor by quoting a post from an unofficial forum, which says that someone's friend was told by a guy's brother that a dude (probably a developer called minorator) informed his friend off the records that there would be a 'Report server' button in 0.4's Masterlist. Users will be able to report a server for violating certain norms.
Then everybody calm their tits about a problem that occurs once a decade and lasts a few days. They would probably forget about it by the time 0.4 actually comes out.

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:17 am »
aXXo but the beta tester are saying that they have no control over anything , they are just beta testers and if they make any such thing that will be their waste of time.
as you can read the reply of stormeus.

There is no EULA or terms of use for servers.

So copy server names , they don't care .

And calling it internal matter -.-
like mega war had internal matter , and if someone copy XE or LW's name , it will be their internal matter as "There is no EULA or terms of use for servers."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:25:38 pm by hellboy_vkk »

Offline stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 01:33:33 pm »
We can control our own masterlist. There's just no reason to set up automatic name protection systems for something that happens once every 9999999 years, nor are we forced to intervene in matters like this (which doesn't even matter -- only the devs can do anything about it).

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 02:22:47 pm »
We can control our own masterlist. There's just no reason to set up automatic name protection systems for something that happens once every 9999999 years, nor are we forced to intervene in matters like this (which doesn't even matter -- only the devs can do anything about it).

At first you said that would be baby sitting so I suggested you a nice way , then you said that you too want a solution to this in my pm and then you said its all useless .. well make up your mind .

more over making a community vcmp does not just means developing a multiplayer but also putting certain rules and regulations over it .. btw now you said that happen once in 9999999 years .. well no I'm playing vcmp since an year and i've seen it twice .
please put proper stats .

"which doesn't even matter " da... you wasted enough time in replying .. and you said you don't want to waste your time in coding .. GOD.

BTW my issue is already resolved , I was replying in a hope that you people will understand the issue and will put up some regulations but you clearly said :

There is no EULA or terms of use for servers.

Means its legal.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:26:53 pm by hellboy_vkk »

Offline MatheuS

• Made Man
  • Pawn And Squirrel Scripter
    • View Profile
    • Brazillian Community
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »
now and Argonath RPG that was copied the name looks:

HostName: Argonath RPG
Address:  5.175.146.83:5192
Players:  0 / 50
Mode:     RPG v1.95d
Map:      Vice-City

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 03:21:23 pm »
now and Argonath RPG that was copied the name looks:

HostName: Argonath RPG
Address:  5.175.146.83:5192
Players:  0 / 50
Mode:     RPG v1.95d
Map:      Vice-City

But its legal now LOL
hahaha
OMG.

Offline YaceQ

• VC:MP Beta Tester
  • Wiseguy
  • DnA4Life!
    • View Profile
    • DnA
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »
We're sleeping now.

Offline stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 04:00:47 pm »
But its legal now LOL
hahaha
OMG.

It's like you expect me to care.

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:19 pm »
We're sleeping now.
Yup you are, sweet dreams.

But its legal now LOL
hahaha
OMG.

It's like you expect me to care.

Nopes , I can't expect a double minded person to care.
btw as its legal (according to stormeus) i'm locking the topic.
at last, its useless to raise a global issue in vcmp unless it include the devs or beta testers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:03:17 pm by hellboy_vkk »