Poll

which would be better for VC:MP, Mirc Scripting or The Pawn language ?

Mirc Scripting
9 (32.1%)
The Pawn language
19 (67.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: December 07, 2008, 12:47:20 pm

Author Topic: Mirc Scripting or The Pawn language ?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Dr.Cornelius

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
Mirc Scripting or The Pawn language ?
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:47:20 pm »
would like to hear from everyone, novice, intermediate or experts in coding.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:19:48 pm by Dr.Cornelius »

Offline VRocker

• LU Developer
  • Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Liberty Unleashed - GTA3 Multiplayer Mod
Re: Mirc Scripting or The Pawn language ?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:06:49 pm »
* VRocker looks for the 'Other' selection

Personally i'd go for something else since i dont like pawn, and mirc is a bit too slow and inefficient (when compared to a proper language)

I'd prefer to have dll plugin support to a server so things can be written in a real language such as C++ :)

If i had to choose though i'd go for mIRC scripting since its easier, and dll's are piss easy to make for it ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:11:43 pm by VRocker »

Offline Knucis

• Wiseguy
  • u wot m9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:08:13 pm »
 :-[ :-[ Sorry for my Question... What's PAWN Language???

Offline maxorator

• VC:MP Developer
  • Made Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:23:59 pm »
I'd prefer to have dll plugin support to a server so things can be written in a real language such as C++ :)
Yea I've considered that. But those wouldn't work that easily on Linux. Also it would nice if servers could plant client-side DLLs. But for that we'd need to create a list of "trusted" servers, because we wouldn't want a server that spreads malware or spies on users. :-X

Offline Dr.Cornelius

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 05:10:48 pm »
Thankyou for your reply's to date, i hope mirc scripting will continue to be supported in vc:mp.

Vrocker: sincere apologies, i should have thought to add an option for voters who wish not to choose either.

Please Keep voting.

Offline Orpheus

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »
* VRocker looks for the 'Other' selection

Personally i'd go for something else since i dont like pawn, and mirc is a bit too slow and inefficient (when compared to a proper language)

If i had to choose though i'd go for mIRC scripting since its easier, and dll's are piss easy to make for it ;)

Vrocker,

I'm surprised don't you see the huge similarities between C++ and Pawn?

Pawno == Modified C++

There is VERY little differenece between the two, except that you call your functions with more globally understood names, e.g OnPlayerConnect.
Furthermore, Pawn DOES support Plugins, i use one on my samp server, and it works perfectly with Pawn.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed the similarities lol,

Dr.C,
I do believe you can edit your poll items, ( not certain ),
 also, MIRC scripting will not die, It takes MANY years for a scripting language so commonly, and so effectively used, to die out :)

knucis, Pawn language is a modified version of C++ that is widely used, and easily understood.

maxorator, Indeed that is always a worry, however, you can use client side Dlls with Pawn, as i do so with Samp, I have an IRC dll as i stated before, I however agree with your statement that yes there is a risk of servers spreading malware, or spying, dlls however also give us oppertunities that we cant have without them.

My opinion is that we should use Pawn for the scriptng as its FAR more easily undersood, and can easily be converted ( or even WRITTEN in C++) as for dlls they're mega useful, but also risky, hence why i always ask for source code :P its not so i can steal it and call it my own, its so i can be sure no secret info is being passed on via it.

regards Orph
"You asked for two pence, I gave you ten"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:30:31 pm by Orpheus »

Windlord

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 08:17:05 am »
Orpheus you should not post long posts full of assumptions on such a large forum

1. pawn is a simple, typeless, 32-bit extension language with a C-like syntax.
2. Unlike many languages, pawn is not intended to write complete full-scale applications in. pawn's purpose is to script the functionality provided by an application or by a device. It is in purpose similar to Microsoft's "Visual Basic for Applications", only quicker and smaller (and without the installation hassle).
3. PAWN and PAWNO are not the same thing - PAWN is a scripting language which if you need help with you are in the right place. PAWNO is the IDE mainly used by coders of the SA:MP mod which uses PAWN
Ref. Google

As you can see PAWN is a scripting language not a coding language.
Having a C-like syntax does NOT mean that it's a modified version of C++
Also, PAWNO != PAWN
They are different.

also, MIRC scripting will not die, It takes MANY years for a scripting language so commonly, and so effectively used, to die out

This is about VC:MP
As far as I know, mIRC was not always implemented for VCMP.
In a mod, languages can be easily switched because scripts can easily be converted. For example, GMod will soon be using GameMonkey which LU will also use.
What you're saying is about the general language. Of course mIRC won't die out when millions of people are using it on thousands of IRC networks.

Conclusion. I'm not trying to start a fight here. I'm just telling you that this isn't a place where you should post stuff without thinking about them first.

[OnTopic] I prefer mIRC as that's the one I'm familiar with but we could try PAWN I guess ;D (Voted for mIRC)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:55:27 am by Windlord »

Offline Orpheus

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 04:44:15 pm »
Sorry wind, was tired the otherday :( My bad,

sorry for any misleading information i provided