Author Topic: [Split] Is VC:MP dead?  (Read 62884 times)

Offline [AoD]NC

• VC:MP Beta Tester
  • VC:MP Veteran
  • AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
Re: [Split] Is VC:MP dead?
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2013, 03:27:28 pm »
@Fuzzy: why did Rockstar release VC and III for iOS? I think the answer is obvious - money. Rockstar produced GTA for almost every gaming platform: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, PS2 & PS3, Xbox & Xbox 360, GBA... I think that's all. While people buy more and more devices with iOS and Android, why not earn some money on it, by converting a game? Yes, my theory is damn better :).

About many mods enhanced GTA: so sorry that most of them are not working with VCMP (dll's).

I think Glock made a good statement. Why some, let's say, 15 year old kid, who was 5 when VC was released (rofl), should play VCMP with a low player base rather than SAMP with a huge player base and multiple servers to play on it? We assume, that such a kid won't play VC, because of nostalgia ;).

Small OT: For those who are still not convinced: why should that mentioned kid install a good old Windows XP, if he has 3 newer OS to choose? XP was a brilliant system, but he's time is slowly over and will sooner or later end. After reading the whole topic, I state that most of you think, that this won't ever happen to VCMP.

Offline Glock22

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2013, 08:00:01 pm »
Exactly... stop waiting for a new version that's never going to happen, don't waste your time trying to advertise it to new people because it won't work. Fair enough it's not all about modern games, but since I started playing IVMP I can't really take SAMP's physic seriously, let alone VC.

Offline SugarD

• LU testers
  • Wiseguy
  • GTA Fan For Life!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »
I think Glock made a good statement. Why some, let's say, 15 year old kid, who was 5 when VC was released (rofl), should play VCMP with a low player base rather than SAMP with a huge player base and multiple servers to play on it? We assume, that such a kid won't play VC, because of nostalgia ;).

Small OT: For those who are still not convinced: why should that mentioned kid install a good old Windows XP, if he has 3 newer OS to choose? XP was a brilliant system, but he's time is slowly over and will sooner or later end. After reading the whole topic, I state that most of you think, that this won't ever happen to VCMP.
1. Okay, so the entire reason why VC:MP exists is pointless and we should all just move on to SA:MP because it's newer and more popular since it was more actively developed. Alright, let's just shitcan GTA3:AM/GTA3:MTA, MTA:VC, LU, GTA3:C, VC-O, V-P, and the other ten million attempts because you think SA:MP is better. Well hell, looks like that is answered! Alright everyone, let's just quit VC:MP and join SA:MP then!

(I think you see where I'm going with this.)

2. I have XP, Vista, 7, and 8 installed on my system. I know 12 year olds that prefer XP for gaming, and 22 year olds that prefer Win8 over all. You can't judge based on age. That is called stereotyping, and it never works.

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:38 pm »
@Fuzzy: why did Rockstar release VC and III for iOS? I think the answer is obvious - money. Rockstar produced GTA for almost every gaming platform: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, PS2 & PS3, Xbox & Xbox 360, GBA... I think that's all. While people buy more and more devices with iOS and Android, why not earn some money on it, by converting a game? Yes, my theory is damn better :).
No one wants Vice City. That's why people are buying it when it gets re-released.

About many mods enhanced GTA: so sorry that most of them are not working with VCMP (dll's).
I'll acknowledge this, but I'm fairly confident that 0.4 increased the number of usable mods that enhance Vice City (I believe ENB was tested and confirmed as working, I'll check later).

I won't say that people won't prefer SA:MP (many of them obviously do), but it's not fair to say that we won't see any new, younger players whatsoever since there are players that encounter Vice City through playing other GTA games, or see posts on other forums about GTA:MP's and stumble upon VC:MP. No, not all of them are from Latin America. As a matter of fact, this is how I got here.

If you feel there is no hope for VC:MP whatsoever, I don't see why it's your business to test future versions of VC:MP. I will gladly work with you to help develop and test it, but that's the message that I got from your post just now.

What does Windows XP have to do with anything? Vice City and VC:MP run fine on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Exactly... stop waiting for a new version that's never going to happen, don't waste your time trying to advertise it to new people because it won't work. Fair enough it's not all about modern games, but since I started playing IVMP I can't really take SAMP's physic seriously, let alone VC.
Thank you for your wonderful insight on this forum dedicated entirely to Vice City. You're not converting anyone.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:59:57 pm by stormeus »
Do not PM me for support.

Offline [AoD]NC

• AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »
@SugarD: 1. not exactly. I was thinking more about getting new players. Trying to find a reason, why someone should start playing VCMP.

@Storm: I just compared VC to XP, nothing with working. Both are old and there is seriously no point, why someone who just started his "GTA career", and it will mostly start from GTA4 now, should check older GTA's. How many of you played GTA1 for example? I'm sure not much, but we are playing VC. And nowadays, if someone sees mega realistic GTA4 physics with close to real-life graphics, he is not likely to make a step back to older, more arcade style GTA's.

Yes, I'm sounding very pessimistic for some of you, but I'm trying to look at it realistically.

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:00 pm »
I'd say SA:MP is pretty arcade-style as well, if you like to look at it that way. In fact, GTA San Andreas is nine years old. Meanwhile, IV:MP has yet to reach that magnitude of popularity.

The way I see it, we can either "look at it realistically" and sit here waiting for the second coming of maxorator, or we can actually put in an effort and move forward and look to the future.
Do not PM me for support.

Offline SugarD

• LU testers
  • Wiseguy
  • GTA Fan For Life!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:41 pm »
@SugarD: 1. not exactly. I was thinking more about getting new players. Trying to find a reason, why someone should start playing VCMP.
Build it, and they shall come.

Offline [AoD]NC

• AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:04 am »
Yes, games from the GTA 3D era are more arcade style, while GTA HD era will be more towards "making the game as much realistic as it can be". And for someone who takes realism > fun, he won't play older GTA's and we are stuck with the player count.

Build it. Pretty easy to say :D. I think a miracle must happen in order to get fresh players.

Offline SugarD

• LU testers
  • Wiseguy
  • GTA Fan For Life!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2013, 03:27:08 am »
Yes, games from the GTA 3D era are more arcade style, while GTA HD era will be more towards "making the game as much realistic as it can be". And for someone who takes realism > fun, he won't play older GTA's and we are stuck with the player count.

Build it. Pretty easy to say :D. I think a miracle must happen in order to get fresh players.
1. Not necessarily true. Many fans were pissed at IV due to it's lack of gameplay, despite being so beautiful. GTA IV did horribly due to this. The only reason they are making so much money off of it still is because they released both episode packs with it later on down the road.

2. Not as hard as you may think. Not long ago, MTA 0.5r2 had a public beta test to test some hacked-in fixes Towncivilian and a few others made. The turnout was amazing. The server was so full that people were fighting to get in, and we had to change hosts twice because of the lag it caused.

The main reason why the older GTA MP mods are doing so poorly is not because of the new ones existing. Albeit, they don't help our situation much, but most of the problems arise from the fact that the older GTA MP mods aren't as "advanced" in their capabilities as the newer ones. IV:MP even proves this with it's lack of capabilities lately, (mostly due to late development), and it's for the newest GTA on the market. MTA:SA and SA:MP are still much more heavily populated than it is.

Offline [AoD]NC

• AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »
1. Fans were pissed, but mostly fans who played older GTA's. If someone started his "gta career" with GTA4, I'm sure he liked it. For me GTA4 wasn't that bad. It has a long story, large map and more realistic physics, but somehow it's not the same fun as in GTA3 or VC, where stunting with a car or bike costed you some HP or blown vehicle, whereas in GTA4 you are dead :(. But it wasn't bad.

For me, the main reasons for lack of interest:
1. Less updates. Really. Recently I wanted to download a tool for disk defrag, I searched the best and the recently updated one. When I see that a program was last updated 5 years ago, it means to me that it is discontinued.
2. The games. As I said the future belongs to new games, because potential new players choose them.
3. No promotion.

Please tell me SugarD, how many of players that participated in the MTA R2 beta test were unknown for you? I think you know all of them. They came to see what's up with the good old MTA VC. But how many players does MTA R2 has in average during the week? Okay...

Plus, IV:MP is an unofficial mod, because GTA4 has got a build-in MP mode. It sucks from what I've heard, but doesn't matter :D.

Offline [Saint]

• Made Man
  • Pawn scripting for SA:MP and VC:MP
    • View Profile
    • vk.com/vicecitymultiplayer
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2013, 08:02:04 pm »
About Russians, we've had a few of them in the beta team so I'm used to them. If you drink vodka, then it's even better :D.

the only thing left for me to do in my real life shit to somehow distract themselves from the constant crap when I get tired of drinking vodka, I sit at home and play gta

Russian Сommunity

Вступайте в группу: vk.com/vicecitymultiplayer

My profile on sa-mp.com

Offline SugarD

• LU testers
  • Wiseguy
  • GTA Fan For Life!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2013, 12:30:24 am »
1. Fans were pissed, but mostly fans who played older GTA's. If someone started his "gta career" with GTA4, I'm sure he liked it. For me GTA4 wasn't that bad. It has a long story, large map and more realistic physics, but somehow it's not the same fun as in GTA3 or VC, where stunting with a car or bike costed you some HP or blown vehicle, whereas in GTA4 you are dead :(. But it wasn't bad.

For me, the main reasons for lack of interest:
1. Less updates. Really. Recently I wanted to download a tool for disk defrag, I searched the best and the recently updated one. When I see that a program was last updated 5 years ago, it means to me that it is discontinued.
2. The games. As I said the future belongs to new games, because potential new players choose them.
3. No promotion.

Please tell me SugarD, how many of players that participated in the MTA R2 beta test were unknown for you? I think you know all of them. They came to see what's up with the good old MTA VC. But how many players does MTA R2 has in average during the week? Okay...

Plus, IV:MP is an unofficial mod, because GTA4 has got a build-in MP mode. It sucks from what I've heard, but doesn't matter :D.
Many of them were unknown. In fact, many of them I didn't even know, and I know almost all the old veterans and MTA Developers, past and present.

To add to this, there are actually new people who are from the MTA:SA/SA:MP-era that found GTA3:MTA, MTA:VC, and VC:MP to be incredible fun. Two players I can think of specifically, Jaysds1 and Callum, each came from that specific gaming era, having not even played GTA III or VC before, let alone GTA3:MTA, MTA:VC, or VC:MP. They are now in love with it, and one of the is a Developer for my team, whereas the other is learning programming languages so he can eventually become one. Callum even expanded his former community to contain MTA:VC servers, and revived their VC:MP server, when they previously only had active MTA:SA and SA:MP ones.

Again, you cannot judge it based on how old a game is. Yes, statistically-speaking the older the game, the less popular it will be over time. That does not mean it won't be popular at all, nor does it mean that no one wants to play it. Remember, these mods are for the people who enjoy them. That is why they are made, and that is why they are free. The GTA modding community has always been this way over the last 11 or so years because we are all fans with a common desire. That has never had anything to do with playerbases, nor should it ever. This is not a product we are selling, so who cares if it has less players than a newer GTA MP mod does? The point is to make it for people to enjoy, not to purchase.

Offline [AoD]NC

• AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2013, 01:17:47 am »
@Saint: how can you be tired of drinking vodka :D?

@SugarD: maybe all those unknowns simply changed their nicks they used before :).

From my experience, I know a few people who tried to move from SAMP/MTASA to VCMP. Everyone said this game is shit, because you mostly fight with stubby, whereas in SA multiplayers you use every possible weapon. M4, DE, nades etc.

Yes, someone will always play a game, no matter how old it is :D. But we want the community to be as much big as possible. Do you personally want to develop a game, which is played by "some" people or by thousands? This is also a definitely bigger motivation for the developers, if you know the large number of people waiting for every update.

Offline SugarD

• LU testers
  • Wiseguy
  • GTA Fan For Life!
    • View Profile
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2013, 02:15:46 am »
@Saint: how can you be tired of drinking vodka :D?

@SugarD: maybe all those unknowns simply changed their nicks they used before :).

From my experience, I know a few people who tried to move from SAMP/MTASA to VCMP. Everyone said this game is shit, because you mostly fight with stubby, whereas in SA multiplayers you use every possible weapon. M4, DE, nades etc.

Yes, someone will always play a game, no matter how old it is :D. But we want the community to be as much big as possible. Do you personally want to develop a game, which is played by "some" people or by thousands? This is also a definitely bigger motivation for the developers, if you know the large number of people waiting for every update.
1. It's possible, but many of them had a personal hatred for MTA:VC and VC:MP due to the lack of updates, hence why they created their own in competition.
2. That will happen. Most of this is because VC-based MP mods simply have not been developed enough yet. If they were as powerful and capable as say MTA:SA and SA:MP are, then we would see very few people saying that after giving it a chance in a well-developed environment. A lot of the current hate just comes from the lack of abilities.
3. If you want to develop based on playerbase, then you are in the wrong place. People who develop based on how many people will use it belong in the business world, not the fan world. Yes, more players are always better, but you should be developing a mod based on your love for it and the game it modifies...and not based on whether a ton of people will use it or not. These mods are for fun, not profit.

Offline Darfy

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2013, 02:37:14 am »
http://vcmpdev.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/the-ball-is-still-rolling/

So to once and for all answer the big question everyone's been speculating lately:
No, VC:MP is not dead.