Author Topic: Cant Connect: Port Issue im guessing.  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Erg0n

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
Cant Connect: Port Issue im guessing.
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:44:38 pm »
Hey all.

Im having an issue with vcmp, the problem im getting is that whenever I connect to a server it connects and after the mp loading screen it gets stuck at "Connecting to (IP HERE):0"

the server is running on the default port of 5192 and i am typing in all the correct things in the server browser, the information retrieves correctly and shows me the name, ping, game type etc. it just wont get past that screen.

Im guessing it is something to do with the fact that it attempts to connect on port 0 rather than the port 5192 that i specified in the server browser, i have been trying to fix it for hours to no prevail.

I am running the server on my computer but have the same problem when connecting to internet servers, my vc version is 1.0 and the stupid thing is that it was working perfectly last night and its not now. I can connect to the server on another computer in my house perfectly fine.

Here are the things i have tried:
  • Re-installing vice city
  • Re-installing vice city AND vc-mp
  • Uninstalling vice city, clearing all temporary files, wiping registry keys related to vcmp or vc and then re-installing both
  • checking vc version
  • checking server browser settings

I am stumped and am hoping someone will have had the problem before and can hopefully provide and insight as to how to fix it or perhaps even just why it is happening so I can attempt to solve the problem myself.

FIXED PROBLEM, IT WAS AN ISSUE WITH THE NAME MY BROTHER HAD SET, IT USED AN UNAVAILABLE CHARACTER (-), IT SEEMS THAT ONLY (a-z) and (0-9) WORK. PERHAPS ADD TO FAQ OR SOMETHING FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

Thanks,
Erg0n
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:39:30 am by Erg0n »

Offline [NoN]Toiletduck

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
Re: Cant Connect: Port Issue im guessing.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:18:30 pm »
Things you need to be sure of before you get to carried away.

When connecting to your own server, you must connect to it as a local server 127.0.0.1:Port number.     Also if you connect to a server with cars that are not compatible, the server will not load.  Many things in the config can provoke a crash!
Is it like this with all servers?

Offline Erg0n

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
Re: Cant Connect: Port Issue im guessing.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:38:36 am »
Yes it is.. and I fixed the problem. updated my first post with the reason the issue was happening.

perhaps someone should add to an FAQ or the like.

-Erg0n