Author Topic: Few things which pull down Vice City Multiplayer  (Read 2879 times)

Offline midnightStar

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
Few things which pull down Vice City Multiplayer
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:15:33 pm »
Hello community!

I have just joined today officially on forums to explore this project wider.
Few things just frightened me on start. First of all there's too little information about what scripting languages it supports(I see Pawn, huh nice but I know Lua and Squirrel, I will have to learn it then. What a suprise, it's similar to C which I know too). Then I see, it supports also Squirrel- what the..

I don't know if VC-MP Server is two or three different projects but it's really annoying for the new user I think. There's no official wiki(you have to search for some unofficial in support), it's on different domain and maybe also host. And even god doesn't know by who it's updated. It's a one big mess from this side. What's the problem in creating subdomain "wiki" and upload there mediawiki or some other system, but I think this one is the best and I can give you custom theme if you want.

I see a big potential here, it's probably the only one project which offers multiplayer support for this nice forgotten game. And what's interesting me - whether Squirrel and other langs(if such exist) are official languages? I think it's a good idea to put them all on the official wiki which doesn't really exist yet. It looks like VC-MP is in parts, chopped by some butcher. Maybe let's add support for Lua language? But where's the source then? It's open-source? I think it's not but maybe I'm wrong.

Regards.

Offline [AoD]NC

• VC:MP Beta Tester
  • VC:MP Veteran
  • AoD forever!
    • View Profile
    • KURWA MAĆ
Re: Few things which pull down Vice City Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:25:46 pm »
Welcome on board :).

PAWN is the official, supported scripting language. The squirrel language is developed by a group of programmers, which are not a part of the VCMP team and therefore it is not supported on this forum. In other words: Squirrel is a 3rd part mod. Squirrel is likely to be a official scripting language (with PAWN) in VCMP 0.4.

Yes, this might be confused, but this forum was hacked one year ago and it looks as it looks, without many important topics, which were deleted.

There was a lua scripting language, but it was again a 3rd part mod and it was dropped (?) long time ago.

Offline MatheuS

• Made Man
  • Pawn And Squirrel Scripter
    • View Profile
    • Brazillian Community

Offline Fuzzy168

• VC:MP Veteran
  • Programming since 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Few things which pull down Vice City Multiplayer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »
Welcome to VC:MP!!

VC:MP is not open source and I doubt it will ever be. However, the VC:MP dev team did release the source code for 0.1c which is full of errors and deprecated.

I don't know anything about a Lua server but I do know about an unofficial Squirrel server for VC:MP. It is currently much better to use Squirrel for many reasons but some users still use Pawn.
I'm beginning to feel like a Lag God, Lag God