Author Topic: Will the 0.4 client support for all languages​​?  (Read 9749 times)

Offline VRocker

• LU Developer
  • Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Liberty Unleashed - GTA3 Multiplayer Mod
Re: Will the 0.4 client support for all languages​​?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 02:29:02 pm »
To make support unicode require a maximum of one hour.

Oh really? What do you base this on? Do you even realise what is involved in supporting Unicode? Its not a simple case of doing doesSupportUnicode( true );

There are many reasons that Unicode isn't supported yet, one of which being it is a lot of work to simply get Unicode working in the chatbox. You mentioned that SA-MP supports it but they use a 3rd party UI so the hard part was done for them whereas vcmp and LU use their own UI. The way LU (and I assume vcmp) renders fonts is to render a huge bitmap of all the letters in the font, with extended ASCII this is 255 letters. To support Unicode it would be up to 65535 letters for each font. This would use a lot of both system and graphical memory which would be a problem for your average vcmp player as most people play with the very minimal system requirements.
Another thing to consider is that because Unicode characters are 2 bytes instead of 1, the netcode would have to be redone as it is coded around a character only using 1 byte. Plus Unicode would use double the bandwidth per message that comes through. Also remember that scripts are also in ASCII so they would have to be redone too to support the new character set.
Also remember that GTA itself doesn't even support Unicode so things like the big announce messages wouldn't work with Unicode.

Personally I don't see the need for Unicode. The chat already ends up as a complete mess with spam in English (or attempted English) so all adding Unicode would do is allow nabs to spam in more ways that nobody understands and use more bandwidth. Plus the majority of the players use English or languages that don't have their own characters which require Unicode (such as Spanish)

Offline [OG]Anirudh

• Street Thug
  • My hacking website :D www.rdp-w.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 04:43:43 am »
Personally I don't see the need for Unicode. The chat already ends up as a complete mess with spam in English (or attempted English) so all adding Unicode would do is allow nabs to spam in more ways that nobody understands and use more bandwidth. Plus the majority of the players use English or languages that don't have their own characters which require Unicode (such as Spanish)
For these and other things VCMP is failing. No offer decent support players. Developers full of themselves with their English. Many have gone to the samp, because this little thing here never throws a decent update. When you finally make your 0.4 already be too late. Almost nobody plays. In as sometimes we have a 50 player in samp have 10,000 or more. Let's face facts and say that these guys make a multiplayer for himself, and not for the players.

Offline Fuzzy168

• VC:MP Veteran
  • Programming since 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:11 am »
For these and other things VCMP is failing. No offer decent support players. Developers full of themselves with their English. Many have gone to the samp, because this little thing here never throws a decent update. When you finally make your 0.4 already be too late. Almost nobody plays. In as sometimes we have a 50 player in samp have 10,000 or more. Let's face facts and say that these guys make a multiplayer for himself, and not for the players.
Well then hope you have a good time at SA:MP. I personally prefer to be in a community as small as VC:MP since we can know one and another. The only reason you are seeing servers in VC:MP having little players is because Vice City alone is an old game and San Andreas was released like what 2 years after Vice City. Rockstar also made San Andreas with better functions than Vice City/III because they used DirectX 9 while Vice City/III uses DirectX 8. The developers here are trying their very best to give us a stable client and server for us to use in the future. They even rewrote the whole code just for the sake of stability. I heard once that the developers of SA:MP are paid while VC:MP here aren't. In addition to that, I am myself a developer and I have learned how to make games using the DirectX API. I can say this with confidence that making or reverse engineering games aren't that easy as it sounds. Don't believe me, try making a game like Vice City in a month.
I'm beginning to feel like a Lag God, Lag God

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 06:29:22 am »

Have you even read VRocker's post above? Implementing Unicode is a logistical issue, not a conscious eurocentric decision.
Do not PM me for support.

Offline Fuzzy168

• Programming since 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 03:36:56 pm »
Incase you are wondering how big Unicode is, click here.

PS: Scrolling down the page crashed my Google Chrome..
I'm beginning to feel like a Lag God, Lag God

Offline krystianoo

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »
I doubt that every of those symbols will get implemented 8)

Offline Honey.

• Made Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 07:54:38 pm »
Why do they want it?People are already shouting for releasing the 0.4 Client and still they are asking to add more.It is just filling a Dam which gets deeper and deeper.

Offline thijn

• LU testers
  • Im proud to be pro.
    • View Profile
    • Vice Underdogs
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:58 pm »
I doubt that every of those symbols will get implemented 8)
You don't get the point of unicode, or a charset in general then. You either do it all, or you don't do it.

Unicode support is unneeded and has more disadvantages then advantages. Not worth the effort and bandwidth.

Offline Machete

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:30 am »
Too bad they can't be implemented. I'd really love to see Cyrillic in VC:MP. :D