• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

[GM] VICE AAD/TDM - TRAINING MOD FOR VICE

Started by YmOn, July 21, 2010, 06:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettans

As of January 1, 1978, under U.S. copyright law, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created.

What makes you think that VC:MP is not copyright protected? Even the open-sourced 0.1c is copyrighted by GPL (General Public License).

rocco

Quote from: Ettans on July 22, 2010, 12:11:44 PM
As of January 1, 1978, under U.S. copyright law, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created.

What makes you think that VC:MP is not copyright protected? Even the open-sourced 0.1c is copyrighted by GPL (General Public License).

i'll do some research into the General Public License soon, but from some brief reading about it, its not covered by the same laws as copyright, it holds copyleft rights.

rocco

i had a moment to glance at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

Quote from: Wikipedia

"The text of the GPL is itself copyrighted, and the copyright is held by the Free Software Foundation. However, the FSF does not hold the copyright for a work released under the GPL"

Quote from: Wikipedia

"Only the individual copyright holders have the authority to sue when a license violation takes place."

to put it simply, VC:MP is not protected by any copyright laws and no action can be taken.

Ettans

We don't know that, we only know the license used for the open-sourced 0.1c, but not about any newer versions.

rocco

Quote from: Ettans on July 23, 2010, 02:05:34 AM
We don't know that, we only know the license used for the open-sourced 0.1c, but not about any newer versions.

we do indeed know that it is not protected by copyright laws.

like i have already mentioned, for legal purposes it must be avilable to the public.

http://www.copyright.gov/records/

x_ZeRo_x

Vice City - Game Zone | IP: 94.23.201.99:5205

YmOn

Good scripter is always Psiho ;DDD