• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

mIRC obsolete ?

Started by SilenusShar, February 09, 2010, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilenusShar

After that long debate about squirrel, it has come to light that there might be a possibility that mIRC will no longer be supported in VC:MP.

1. Is this true?

If this is correct;

2. Will it become totally obsolete ? e.g, I will not be able to connect my current script to future server releases.

3. What sort of timescale would this happen in, and is it worth "brushing up" my mIRC script?

Skirmant

The only one that can answer these questions is a VCMP Dev.
I know advance mIRC, average C++, basic Pawn & Squirrel, very basic Java Script.

Boss

*even longer sigh*
Quote from: Falcon on January 15, 2010, 10:53:05 AM
Well up to now vcmp has only had irc scripting released so all server's currently run std server with irc scripts. So trying to give them time to convert there modes in pawn.

That means: VC-MP used mrc in the past, but now Pawn is being developed and there is no valid reason to keep mrc.

Skirmant

Quote from: Boss on February 09, 2010, 05:47:39 PM
*even longer sigh*
Well up to now vcmp has only had irc scripting released so all server's currently run std server with irc scripts. So trying to give them time to convert there modes in pawn.

Doesn't answer question number 3.
I know advance mIRC, average C++, basic Pawn & Squirrel, very basic Java Script.

SilenusShar

Quote from: Boss on February 09, 2010, 05:47:39 PM
*even longer sigh*

That means: VC-MP used mrc in the past, but now Pawn is being developed and there is no valid reason to keep mrc.

Well, yes, 1 and 2 are not directly answered, but are slightly insinuated.

*even bigger sigh*  - for different reasons. (I spent 2 years creating my mIRC script, and don’t fancy another two years converting)

Thank you for your reply though.

Boss

Quote from: SilenusShar on February 09, 2010, 05:58:13 PM
are slightly insinuated.
I posted Falcon's quote in the very thread you mentioned in the 1st post. You could've read it there.

Quote from: SilenusShar on February 09, 2010, 05:58:13 PM
I spent 2 years creating my mIRC script, and don't fancy another two years converting
Converting takes much less, really.

VRocker

So what, are they going to completely strip out the entire rcon, remove the commands which could be used for scripting, or just not add any more commands to it?

Since the mIRC scripts just work with the server by using the RCON interface for vcmp. It was never intended for scripting purposes.

If its just left as it is (which imo would be the best option), theres functions in pawn to send/receive commands on the rcon, meaning people could add to the mIRC scripting stuff themselves.
This way the developers wouldn't need to add any extra stuff to the rcon, but wrappers could still be made in pawn to provide the functionality if needed.

SilenusShar

sorry boss, I did not intend "insinuated" to come across offensive

Quote from: VRocker on February 09, 2010, 06:18:52 PM
theres functions in pawn to send/receive commands on the rcon, meaning people could add to the mIRC scripting stuff themselves.

would you elaborate for me please, as this sounds rather intriguing.

VRocker

Well, if you look in the pawn scripting stuff, you'll notice that theres these commands:

SendRconEvent
SendRconCommand

Aswell as a callback named OnRconCommand.

Although i havn't tested these commands, i imagine they would work like this:

public OnRconCommand(cmdtext[])
{
new cmd[256];
new tmp[256];
new idx;
cmd = strtok(cmdtext, idx);
if (strcmp(cmd, "lights", true) == 0)
{
tmp = strtok(cmdtext, idx); // player id
new playerid = FindPlayerIDFromString(tmp);
tmp = strtok(cmdtext, idx); // lights on/off
if ( strcmp(tmp,"1",true) == 0 ) SetVehicleLights( GetPlayerVehicleID(playerid), true );
else SetVehicleLights( GetPlayerVehicleID(playerid), false );
}
}

public OnPlayerRequestClass(playerid, classid)
{
SendRconEvent( "[ClassRequest] %i %i", playerid, classid );
}

This is just a rough draft but it looks asthough it will work. Then all you need to do is parse and send the stuff in the mirc dll

Falcon

Well the current list of rcon commands will stay so all irc scripts will still connect and work.

But as Boss was staying it will be a pawn server so all you cars and players will need to be added via pawn.. Plus i won't be adding in the extra rcon commands that pawn will have access too.

As for VRocker answer is correct also you can add in as many rcon commands as you like but tbh pawn is alot faster more stable and is always connected unlike irc so coverting you scripts would be the correct way to go.