• Welcome to Vice City Multiplayer.

Forcing players to get the latest R2 client update?

Started by Force, February 25, 2010, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Force

As most of you probably know there were two optional updates for the R2 client, the latest one coming on the 17th Jan 2010. However it makes me wonder why you added in some shitty little thing to the server which checks the players client version rather than forcing them to update.

There are a lot of players out there who are wanting to play VC:MP but have the old client, therefore they are getting kicked from servers and being sent a message to update their client, however most of them have no fucking idea what the hell that means and continue to try and join the servers which require the latest patch.

[Thu - 18:26:11] <@Spaner> ** [ 0 ] yovani has joined Miami-Dade Racing.
[Thu - 18:26:45] <@Tammer> -AdminServ- Auto-Kicked:[ yovani ] Reason:[ Outdated R2 client ]
[Thu - 18:26:45] <@Spaner> ** [ 0 ] yovani has left Miami-Dade Racing. (Kicked)

All of the Miami-Dade servers and LWs are getting a flood of that everyday because players simply haven't updated to the new client and probably don't know how to, or they have updated but because someone thought that the default VC Directory on the install should be "C:\GTA Vice City" they think they have updated and every thing is fine.

Obviously this isn't the case and there a lot of players who can't get on a server because they have the old client and don't know how to update, therefore they probably rage quit and are never to be seen again.

Why didn't you just force everyone to update to the 17.01.10 client rather than making it an option? I hope that if this so called new patch comes out that you actually make it so that you have to update to it to connect to the new servers, otherwise you are refused connection for an outdated client or something.

Therefore you will probably get a lot more players actually playing VC-MP than those getting kicked for old clients and more than likely rage quitting as they don't know how to update. Maybe you should give clearer instructions on how to update to the new client?

That's all for now!

maxorator

Well, if they see that message and try to find out how to update and come to this site (vicecitymultiplayer.com), the first thing they're gonna see is a big headline "Latest Pawn Server && Client Released 17.01.2010". How could we make it any more clear?

Jc18

add an auto updater  or an update button in the next patch :p

Force

Quote from: maxorator on February 25, 2010, 08:21:03 PM
Well, if they see that message and try to find out how to update and come to this site (vicecitymultiplayer.com), the first thing they're gonna see is a big headline "Latest Pawn Server && Client Released 17.01.2010". How could we make it any more clear?

Yeah that bit is fine, I'm on about giving instructions or something on how they should go about updating, as most people don't really have a clue. But the main part of the topic was about forcing an update rather than making it optional.

maxorator

The client "update" on the main site is just an installer that installs the latest version overwriting any older one. We assume people know how to use installers...

Force

Quote from: maxorator on February 25, 2010, 09:33:41 PM
We assume people know how to use installers...

That's a fair enough point, however it would look like some people don't know how to use them or just spam the "Next.." button, and therefore installing to the wrong directory because the installer has it is "C:\GTA Vice City". :P

Anyway, the main point of this post was to ask why you aren't "forcing" players to update, will this be in the new patch that is coming? I'd sooner update server rather than the script as well with the new version number.

Squida

lol max, you have no idea how many people keep rejoining after getting that msg and they're just like "wat happened man, mi vcmp noes" lol, then they get kicked again :D.

[AoD]NC

Quote from: Squida on February 26, 2010, 02:36:37 PM
"wat happened man, mi vcmp noes" lol, then they get kicked again :D.
* [AoD]NC thinks VCMP should have an lang-selector

Boss

Quote from: [AoD]NC on February 26, 2010, 02:47:55 PM
Quote from: Squida on February 26, 2010, 02:36:37 PM
"wat happened man, mi vcmp noes" lol, then they get kicked again :D.
* [AoD]NC thinks VCMP should have an lang-selector
* Boss thinks that anyone who doesn't know what "outdated" means is mentally ill and should be shot.
© VCPR

kenwood

well we need to remenber lots of yong kids play this game,most dont read or take the time to install it right, its just click click click. we older 1s here dont forget we were kids once, lol
old gamers never die.

Darfy

Quote from: Force on February 25, 2010, 09:58:39 PM
however it would look like some people don't know how to use them or just spam the "Next.." button, and therefore installing to the wrong directory because the installer has it is "C:\GTA Vice City". :P
I agree to this. Just now i had to explain some guy that the directory has to be changed to where the other files are located. Of course for us it sounds kinda stupid, who wouldn't know mods have to be installed to the same folder, but MTA SA, for example, isn't installed to the SA folder. So yea.. fix it asap :)

[AoD]NC

But when installing MTA:SA, you need to select your SA folder, but the installer search it so you need only do Next >. After finding gta-sa.exe, you can choose the installer folder for the multiplayer mod.

Darfy

That wasn't exactly my point, i'd just like to see the directory changed cause many people do have problems with that.