Author Topic: VC-MP "gta-vc.exe unable to locate component"  (Read 6869 times)

Offline Lunar

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
VC-MP "gta-vc.exe unable to locate component"
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:53:30 pm »
Hi people,

So at first I had this problem where when I load up VC:MP and it runs in single player after that it crashes with the following notification:"gta-vc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I didn't know how to fix this. I tried everything that was asked, changed the compatibility mode to windows 98/Me, deleted gta_vc.set. I understand this was because I accidently installed VC:MP in the wrong directory BUT THEN AFTER I LOCATED IT IN EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS MEANT TO BE, and still... it doesn't work!?

Is there any way I can fix this issue?

Now this was another problem I encountered, after messing around with the files I deleted a dll file (which is pretty hard to do) since people were saying that was the problem,  now everytime I load up VC:MP it says "The application has failed to start because mss32.dll was not found"

With this said, I recovered the file and put it in the folder, but it still appears with the same error:
"The application has failed to start because mss32.dll was not found"

Is there any solution to this problem or do I have to re-install vice city (vice city works perfectly btw, it's just when I load VC:MP) I think I have to re-install vice city and this time install VC:MP in the right directory.

Please carefully read all of this and thanks for doing so. :P

Offline sseebbyy

• VC:MP Veteran
  • Immortal VC:MP Player
    • View Profile
    • Zombie Invasion => Server Forum [DEAD PROJECT]
Re: VC-MP "gta-vc.exe unable to locate component"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:02:13 pm »
I really think there are more Mss32.dll versions so maybe you downloaded a version of another game.

I uploaded my "Mss32.dll" from VC Directory for you:
http://www.solidfiles.com/d/0e8141b20f/

And about your first problem. You installed VC:MP in another directory and after that you just moved to the VC Directory or you reinstalled the VC:MP right in Vice City folder ?

If you just moved it, try to reinstall it right in Vice City folder.

PS: I hope you don't have a modified Vice City. If yes, try an original version, without any mods.

Painful/Noob scripters acts like: I Am The Best Scripter Because I Announce My Releases With Big Font Size Without Giving Too Much Info' In The Hope They All Will Download And Check It. I Ignore Bad Replies, Replies That I Could Learn From, And Replies With So Much Text.

Offline Lunar

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:13 pm »
You installed VC:MP in another directory and after that you just moved to the VC Directory.

Correct, sir.
So now I have to reinstall it and put it in the correct directory? I did this, still didn't work.
This is why people are telling me to reinstall my whole vice city. (Still, please keep the answers coming and not just "reinstall vice city")

PS: I hope you don't have a modified Vice City. If yes, try an original version, without any mods.

Forgive me for asking but where are mods located? what are they lol? :P I don't think I ever used them. (Maybe I do, I don't know, my friend gave me GTA and he might have installed mods)

Offline sseebbyy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:19:58 pm »
Hmmm, you can check both files (gta-vc.exe & vc-mp.exe) to see if them have the same Compatibility. If not, set them to be the same.

And about mods:
     Maybe you have some CLEO files in your VC Directory, or maybe some mods like an speedometer etc.

Painful/Noob scripters acts like: I Am The Best Scripter Because I Announce My Releases With Big Font Size Without Giving Too Much Info' In The Hope They All Will Download And Check It. I Ignore Bad Replies, Replies That I Could Learn From, And Replies With So Much Text.

Offline Lunar

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:43 pm »
Aren't dll files speedometers? I've deleted them remember but now it comes up with this error: "The application has failed to start because mss32.dll was not found"

Offline sseebbyy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:38:09 pm »
Aren't dll files speedometers? I've deleted them remember but now it comes up with this error: "The application has failed to start because mss32.dll was not found"

No ! Mss32.dll is part of game in this case.

Offline Lunar

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:42 pm »
Argh, dang. Guess that's it then.

I re-installed GTA Vice City in a new folder, and I'm about to download VC:MP!
Any suggestions so I don't get the same issue where single player loads up and it crashes witht his notification: "gta-vc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Because I don't want it to happen again! :D

Offline sseebbyy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »
I really don't know ...

Offline dynavolt71

• Crime Boss
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:42 pm »
Hmm ok try redownload again vc (i recommend use rip version)
[PAWNO]Fix Error " Failed to set data for "" " - http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?topic=5743.0

:'(