Author Topic: Ping Spikes  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Nyo

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
Ping Spikes
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:21 pm »
Hi all

I am having some weird ping spikes problem with VC:MP... at random times my ping increases (+100ms/+200ms) and i start getting rubber banding all around till it gets back to normal
Few times i didnt get it at all but mostly i get this multiple times during game session and i get it in all servers i tried

I recently bought new PC and i think that's the problem... i tried to play on the old PC and it's all fine there, so i assume it's not itnernet's fault

I tried to:
- set gta-vc.exe affinity to 1 core
- disable visual effects in gta-vc.exe's compatibility options
- run it with Win98 compatibility mode
- set windows classic theme in desktop
- close all internet using apps

All of the above are possible solutions i found on the internet for vcmp/samp ping spikes/rubber banding problem... but none of them helped

SO, how to fix?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:54:22 pm by Nyo »

Offline aXXo

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
Re: Ping Spikes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:20:45 am »
Ping spikes are usually caused due to connection problems. If you are using a wireless network, your ping would spike when your signal strength varies.

So, are you using a WiFi network?
Were you using the same connection for old PC, or was it a wired connection?

You can also check your connection at pingtest.net....make sure your jitter is low.

Offline Nyo

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:11 am »
No i am not using Wifi (my modem router doesnt have it), it's all wired so yes it's same connection on old PC too

And before you ask... yes, the old PC was turned off during my ping spikes so, i repeat, (i guess) it's not an internet problem

Here the pingtest (UK server):

Your jitter seems low to me, isnt it?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:01:49 am by Nyo »

Offline Jellyfish

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
Do you face these only using VC:MP?

If that is the case, perhaps you could try using an alternative client, there's a few modified ones people use.

Offline aXXo

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:11:44 pm »
I doubt any PC setting can cause a ping spike sporadically. If it was a bad setting, it would consistently raise your ping. You could check the Automatic update settings on your software and OS. Maybe one of them starts downloading some update without notifying.

Most ping problems are caused by connection(your or the server host), so make sure that the different servers you tried are not hosted by the same hosting service.

If you get a ping spike in future, do a pingtest immediately. It could be a case of your connection not being consistent.

Offline Nyo

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:44:43 pm »
Do you face these only using VC:MP?

If that is the case, perhaps you could try using an alternative client, there's a few modified ones people use.
Ye so far i only got it on VC:MP and once on SA:MP... on all other games i never experienced this

Would you mind linking some of these modified clients? If it's not possible here send them links in PM, thanks

Offline Nyo

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »
So none can help me with this problem?

Could it be that when there are many players in the server i start getting these ping spikes? Cause i am starting to think that's the problem...

Offline Darfy

• VC:MP Beta Tester
  • Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »
Do these spikes last long? I've never faced problems similar to your's so can't really say anything. All I know is that this must be something connection related.

Offline Nyo

• Street Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:52:10 pm »
Do these spikes last long? I've never faced problems similar to your's so can't really say anything. All I know is that this must be something connection related.
The ping jumps from normal to 250-300ms and then starts dropping till it reaches normal ping again... all of this in 1-3secs (based on in game scoreboard)

The rubber banding/telerporting problem (caused from the ping spike) lasts few secs more than that