Author Topic: Copying server names .. low life guys!  (Read 16641 times)

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
Copying server names .. low life guys!
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:50:43 pm »
Is not there any policy that no one can copy a server name or something as a shit server is trying to copy my server ??
moreover they are using a leaked version of my server which was outdated and fully scripted by me , which also include a RAT (Remote Administrative Tool) added by the raged owner to hack the PC of those who download it lol.

5.175.146.83:5192 <- the low life guys

LOL
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:55:17 pm by hellboy_vkk »
Vice City Cops 'n' Robbers is good for an even more relaxed style of gameplay than Argonath.

Offline MatheuS

• Made Man
  • Pawn And Squirrel Scripter
    • View Profile
    • Brazillian Community
Re: Copying server names .. low life guys!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »
I was talking with them to change the name they said that was not why you are gaining advantage over his former admin

:-\

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:19 pm »
as i clearly mentioned at the unofficial forum "God bless who ever going to debug it ,and I suggest before using it remove the RAT ".

There should be a policy that one cannot copy a server name .
Vice City Cops 'n' Robbers is good for an even more relaxed style of gameplay than Argonath.

Offline stormeus

• VC:MP Developer
  • VC:MP Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:20:41 am »

There's no way of being able to successfully regulate this globally without any sort of drawbacks, unless you legally trademark the name of your server. The most successful (relatively speaking) solution that I can think of off the top of my head is that servers on the Internet list cannot duplicate other server names. However, adding or changing a single character would break this, and if they were to copy your server name exactly, they can effectively hold it hostage if your server goes down.

See if you can find their hosting provider (if they use one) and send a message to their owner; VC:MP hosters are generally responsive to this kind of issue.
Do not PM me for support.

Offline ulkaki

• Made Man
  • www.xe-servers.com www.ulk-gang.com
    • View Profile
    • XE Servers
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:02 am »
yeah, nothing can be done about this. VC:MP devs can probably manually blacklist your server ip from the msl but that's about it.

remember EA back then when it was called XA American Server and before it became super cool? :P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:48:35 am by ulkaki »

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:22:11 am »

There's no way of being able to successfully regulate this globally without any sort of drawbacks, unless you legally trademark the name of your server. The most successful (relatively speaking) solution that I can think of off the top of my head is that servers on the Internet list cannot duplicate other server names. However, adding or changing a single character would break this, and if they were to copy your server name exactly, they can effectively hold it hostage if your server goes down.

See if you can find their hosting provider (if they use one) and send a message to their owner; VC:MP hosters are generally responsive to this kind of issue.

I'm saying the same , when I put my server details on the official VC-MP forum , it means its copy righted in a way (I assume so, and hope the same for you) moreover after that the respective VC-MP devs should make a police regarding the sever names like it should not match 80% or 85% (just an example) .

I hope you do agree with this as all know its easy to get players when you copy a server name like XE, LW or VCCNR.

yeah, nothing can be done about this. VC:MP devs can probably manually blacklist your server ip from the msl but that's about it.

Probably that could be a solution to this or the solution could be registering server names at the official forum or some other similar methods.

Offline stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »
If I register facebook.tk, I don't have legal rights to the name "Facebook." Besides, going to the courts would be excessive, expensive, and not worth it.

VC-MP devs should make a police regarding the sever names like it should not match 80% or 85% (just an example)

1. How do you determine which server is the authentic one?
2. There are better uses of free time.

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:18:13 pm »
If I register facebook.tk, I don't have legal rights to the name "Facebook." Besides, going to the courts would be excessive, expensive, and not worth it.

so u mean to say we shall not consider it an issue that worth attention or do you mean to say that its kinda legal?

1. How do you determine which server is the authentic one?
2. There are better uses of free time.

for 1. I gave a suggestion just after that , there should be something like registration system

for 2. do you again mean copying of server name does not worth anything and should be done?

In a way you just promoted them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:56:14 pm by hellboy_vkk »

Offline MatheuS

• Made Man
  • Pawn And Squirrel Scripter
    • View Profile
    • Brazillian Community
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
1. Why La has many functions and commands Different and System's
2. Yes there

;)

this and my opinion as a player of her
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:21:11 pm by MatheuS »

Offline Machete

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
    • Dark Negative Anti-Social
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 04:07:48 pm »
LOL:

;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:31:55 pm by Cheech »

Offline stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 01:47:20 am »
I don't support server name copycats, but we can't spend our time "policing" the server list for this kind of issue, nor would we be able to accurately determine which server is "authentic" in cases that don't involve major servers, nor would we be able to create an accurate, simple method of registering servers without the risk of the real server being locked out of their own name.

If it's supposed to be easy for server owners and scripters to get started, this is not an issue that we can spend significant amounts of time trying to rectify.

Offline Fuzzy168

• Programming since 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:30:56 am »
I have a feeling it's been done by someone within your administrator team because the subnets of both servers are the same. Try contacting your host provider.
I'm beginning to feel like a Lag God, Lag God

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 12:02:50 pm »
I have a feeling it's been done by someone within your administrator team because the subnets of both servers are the same. Try contacting your host provider.

Fuzzy In my 1st post i had mentioned about a raged owner , who had old script. But my concern is not that old bugged script but the server name.

but we can't spend our time "policing" the server list for this kind of issue , nor would we be able to accurately determine which server is "authentic" in cases that don't involve major servers, nor would we be able to create an accurate, simple method of registering servers without the risk of the real server being locked out of their own name.

So you think that this is not an issue of any concern , alright So it means if someone copy a server name , VC-MP Beta tester say that they have got own problem and they don't have time for this issue .
COOL

about the rest , Beta tester's words "if you do it properly , anything can be done".

this is not an issue that we can spend significant amounts of time trying to rectify.

Or in other words "Its not our problem , we won't take action unless its our problem", right? (by we i just mean Stormeus atm)

Offline stormeus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »
Well if you can come up with a solution that works 99.9% of the time without having to babysit the server list for copycats around the clock, feel free to share it and maybe the devs will use it.

Offline hellboy_vkk

• Wiseguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 11:42:43 pm »
can you please explain the meaning of babysitting??

the simplest way is that make a list of the servers which are in the http://forum.vicecitymultiplayer.com/index.php?board=38.0 section of the vcmp official forum which will take hardly 5 mins (in case you are too lazy else just 2 mins) and then place a bot at the vcmp main server's host which at regular interval check the names of the main server list and compare them with the server names of the servers in the list you will make (that's need not to be on same host , so that you can edit it any time making  you not to disturb devs anymore :P ). if it match 80% temp ban that ip at the host of vcmp official forum or main server.

that's just 1 suggestion which is the simplest one and won't take more than 15 mins to code the bot.

but if you call all that baby sitting No one can help in that.

btw you are replying to this thread since 3-4 days , and if 15 mins are like baby sitting to you i'll just say God help me!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:52:51 am by hellboy_vkk »